Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM

clouds?

As I've worked with Evernote, GoogleDocs, and Zoho, all of which offer some degree of overlap of features found in URP, I find myself wishing that URP offered some kind of cloud computing features. I'd even be willing to pay for some kind of online server based features.

I've tried Dropbox. It is not an ideal product. I have lost important files, or files have not updated appropriately when I've used (misused? I don't know) that product.

Also - as I now have a smart phone (as do millions of others - increasing all the time), a mobile app which gave me access to my URP data (hopefully write access, but at least read) would seem to become increasingly important.

I know that Evernote is moving in that direction (they have a mobile app that works pretty well).

I think with server/mobile features, URP would attract lots of new customers.

Of course, I have no idea about the technical challenges involved. I'm just sayin...

- Bal
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Re: clouds?

would be great ...

in the meantime (read years) get viliv s5 or sth like that. i got viliv s5, and it's very good. now i have my database with me all the time.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM

viliv does look interesting, but it's not really a substitute for the cloud, as you do indicate.

I want to be able to access my data without worrying about the hardware. If I were to be drop kicked into a strange city, but still had internet access, say at a library, I could still get work done with URP, but only if it were in the cloud.

Additionally, once in the cloud, next logical steps begin to emerge, e.g., collaboration and sharing.

URP is so powerful - it's a shame to have it stunted in one area where there is a very robust cutting edge evolving every day.

- Bal
Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
viliv does look interesting, but it's not really a substitute for the cloud, as you do indicate.

I want to be able to access my data without worrying about the hardware. If I were to be drop kicked into a strange city, but still had internet access, say at a library, I could still get work done with URP, but only if it were in the cloud.
sorry, i disagree

i can have access to my data with viliv ANYWHERE, i don't need library, i don't need internet, i can be 1000 metres under ground or 10 km in the sky ... with those 400g in my pocket, call it a brain extention

and i'm realistic, kinook several times mentioned that it would be too much work to port ur to web, with the speed of dev, it's years ... more probably never.
with viliv, i don't need to fantasise, i have it NOW!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 AM

You are likely right. I tend to dream.

But then reality is what emerges from dreams.

When I have the bucks to spend on a viliv, I'll take a closer look. I have a netbook. If you are familiar with such machines, how does the viliv screen/interface compare and how does URP look in it.

I'm guessing since you tout it, it must be very good indeed. Please confirm.

- Bal
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

yes, it's very good, but at the same time it very much depends on individual needs. for example there is a similar viliv n5 which has a keyboard but it's still very portable, or someone could prefer x70 with 7 inch screen ...