Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 AM

UR performance

It seems that the speed of UR is not a problem for most people (although as noted elsewhere USB use may introduce a deterioration in performance). For some reason, I am finding UR to be quite slow on my desktop and laptop. Since I rely on my laptop primarily, here are the specs:

Pentium M @ 2.0 GHz
1 GB RAM
100 GB hard drive (defragged weekly) 65.2 GB free space
128 MB video memory

Importing and exporting files is painfully slow. If I import a large mbx file (say over 40 MB), I can expect 100% cpu usage over the next couple of hours (sometimes longer). Importing large delimited files is similarly slow as are large text files whether they are split by line breaks, page breaks, paragraphs, or imported intact as one large file.

Exporting is a bit faster for me, but not by much.

I really like UR and would like to use it as my primary repository, but the poor performance I experience makes it impractical for me. I also use askSam with a database that is 23x larger than the one I use in UR. My database for Info Select is far smaller. My point is that both programs (IS and askSam) are nearly instantaneous.

Are others experiencing this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for any advice.

Jon
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I am using UR Pro 2.00c.

Jon
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

There is quite a bit of processing involved in an import (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1644 for more details on message import) which may not be performed by other apps. What sizes of delimited text files are you importing?

Export should be quite a bit faster than import (exported 3,700 items [~100MB] in 1 minute in a quick test on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core w/ fast HD).

Are you importing and exporting large files on a regular basis? A faster CPU and hard drive might help in that case. Although I would not expect large imports to be done on a day-to-day basis.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:21 PM

The files for import range in size. The smallest is just under 3 MB and the largest is over 20 MB. Unlike the poster in the link you provided, I have found that more files and/or delimiters make the process run much slower. For example, the 3 MB file may have 400 text messages, but once the number imported gets past 100, the process bogs down. What starts out at 5 imports per second finishes up at 1 import every 4 or 5 seconds.

You are correct about exporting - much faster. But both importing and exporting speeds cannot compare to askSam or Info Select.

Do you have suggestions that may speed the process? I really want to settle on one program, but may have to remain with two or three.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jon
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Other than those mentioned in that thread, no. If you could ZIP and send a problem file and specifics on how you are importing, it will aid our investigation. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 AM

Thank you for responding.

I am using an essentially unaltered file created when you open a new database. My skills and experience with UR are still formative and my desire (to begin) is to get all of my information imported into UR. As I posted above, it can be painfully slow. I have resorted to doing this overnight and I have once returned the next morning to find the import still proceeding (albeit v-e-r-y slowly). This was a 500,000 kb mbx file. I still have a mbx file that is almost 1 Gb (I am dreading imorting this one).

Jon