Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 05-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Build VS.Net 2005 Website

Hi, I am wondering how I can go about compiling a VS.Net 2005 Website when the solution is built. I have the Build Website as Part of solution option checked.

I have tried building the solution with devenv through the Make Vs.Net action but that doesn't work.

Do I have to do something extra to get the website to build or am I missing a setting?

I understand that the ASP.Net 2.0 Website model is to dynamically compile the pages, but as part of my build process I want to make sure that all the pages of the site compile correctly.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Administrator

In my testing, this does precompile the web site. I created a new C# web site project, then created a step in VBP to build the solution for it, and building the step in VBP resulted in a PrecompiledWeb folder below the .sln file with the DLL in the site\bin folder. The default behavior is to use MSBuild, but choosing devenv in the compiler override field generated the same output.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM

This solution was upgraded from a 1.1 solution so I am wondering if there is something that is not appearing in the solution file correctly.

Also, I am using an IIS site and not a file system site. Could that by why you are getting a different result. When I build the solution with vs.net, the website does precompile. If I build the solution from Visual Build it does not, so there has to be some difference between the 2.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jnapier; 05-25-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Are you sure that this worked for you from Visual Build? I just created a brand new solution and a file system website and got the exact same results as in my original solution.

I can send you the sample solution and build script if you would like.

When I use the Make VS.Net action from Visual Build, the WebSite is definitely not precompiled. I can verify this by the fact that the output tab in visual build makes no mention of precompiling the site, and there is no PreCompiledWeb folder on my harddrive.

We must be doing something different here.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Administrator

I tried it both ways (creating new C# HTTP and File system web sites). In both cases, when building the solution via the Make VS.NET action, I get output like:

5/26/2006 6:40:53 AM: Building project step 'Make VS 2005'...
Pre-processing...

Building configuration 'Debug|.NET'...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 2.0.50727.42
[Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspn et_compiler.exe -v /filetest -p ..\..\WebSites\filetest\ -u -f -d PrecompiledWeb\filetest\

The last line is the output of the precompilation. The precompilation output path is governed by 'right-click project -> Property Pages -> MSBuild Options -> Output Folder.'

If I delete the PrecompiledWeb folders and build again from VBP, they are regenerated.

I tested on Windows XP SP2 w/ VS 2005 Pro RTM (8.0.50727.42). Attached are my solutions, projects, bld and log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (6.7 KB, 1226 views)
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I can't run your build script. I have the latest 6.1 version.

I have attached an image that shows the problem.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

The ZIP file was fixed; download and try again.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:21 PM

I've tracked down the problem. I was building the Configuration Release| Any CPU and it appears that by default, the website is not set to build in this mode. Its hidden in the configuration manager because you have to change the buiod platform dropdown. Regardless, setting the website to build in this configuration fixed the problem and now my build script builds the websote as your sample project does. Thank you.

In fixing this, I found a little problem with the increment version capability. We placed an AssemblyInfo.cs file into the App_Code directory so that we can have access to a build number to display on our website for maintenance purposes. The increment version of the Make VS.NEt step does not update an Assembly Info file in the Web project. It updates the AssemblyInfo for the other projects, but not the web project.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Because VS 2005 web sites have no project file (and hence no declaration of the assemblyinfo file) versioning of them is not currently supported directly:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1355

Another option would be to convert to VS 2005 Web Application Projects, which are more like pre-2005 web projects and actually have a project file:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...-Released.aspx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: