Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-23-2005, 12:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Osborn
Internal Viewing of PDFs

I cannot get the internal viewer to show the pdfs.....I've checked the windows file types and file extensions to view....
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Did you add '.pdf' to 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser'? If you open a PDF file in IE (for instance, http://www.kinook.com/Download/UltraRecall.pdf), does it display within IE or a separate Acrobat Reader window?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:13 AM

thanks for checking in on me Kevina....you asked....

Did you add '.pdf' to 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser'?....yes I did. The pdf opens in a separate Adobe reader window....I see every other application
Old 09-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

It sounds like you have Acrobat Reader configured to not display in the browser; this setting will also affect the UR internal browser. In Reader 7.0, this is configured at 'Edit | Preferences | Internet | Display PDF in Browser'. This should be checked in order for PDFs to be displayed in UR's internal browser.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM

thanks....checked on that. I do have that "Display PDF in Browser" checked in my Reader software....I must have something else screwed up......
Old 09-25-2005, 07:13 PM

has any one had this problem? I would like to read PDFs in the internal viewer......though Ultra Recall would do this.....
Old 09-26-2005, 09:18 AM

If pdf files display within regular Internet Explorer, then Ultra Recall should behave the same way (if .pdf is added to the extension list @ Tools | Options | Browser <tab> | File extensions to display in internal browser view).

If pdf files do display within IE, but not in Ultra Recall, then we are stumped (Ultra Recall simply invokes Internet Explorer internally to display .pdf files when the .pdf extension is added to the above list). Please post the installation info found in Ultra Recall @ Help | About | Install Info... . Also, please post the contents of the extension list described above.

Another option you could try is using the Mozilla browser within Ultra Recall instead of of Internet Explorer. This can be done by following the directions @ http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...threadid=1008.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 AM

I should reiterate, if PDF files do not display within "regular" Internet Explorer as expected, then there must be something about the configuration of either IE or Acrobat Reader which is blocking it (and will also prevent Ultra Recall from displaying pdf's internally when using Internet Explorer).

We are aware of numerous users that view pdf files internally within Ultra Recall; when IE and Acrobat Reader are configured appropriately, it works as expected.

This could only be an issue with Ultra Recall if pdf files do display inside regular IE but not in UR.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM

thanks Kevina.....

1. I have checked UR /tools/options/Documents/"extensions to display in image viewer" .....".pdf;"

2. I have checked UR/tools/options/Browser/"file extensions to display in internal browser"....".pdf;"

3. Webpages show up in UR

4. PDF files are opened externally in Reader V7.....

is this it?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 PM

First, you don't want .pdf in the image viewer extension list.

The underlying issue is: if you open a url to a pdf file in regular Internet Explorer, is it displayed within Internet Explorer, or does it open up directly in Acrobat Reader? Even if you have .pdf in the browser extension list in Ultra Recall, UR will not (can not) override the behaviour exhibited by regular Internet Explorer.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 AM

thanks Kevina.....I think we are getting close. When I use the browser (IE) and click on a pdf....it opens up directly in an external Adobe Reader window. How do I change this behavior? I have already gone into Adobe reader and clicked on "/edit/preferences/internet/display pdf in browser".....any thing else?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM

On my PC, I had Reader 7.0 installed, then later installed Reader 4.0 (due to a pdf file which was only compatible with that version). In that configuration, I got the same behaviour you describe, regardless of any configuration settings in either version of Acrobat Reader.

The resolution for me was to uninstall Acrobat Reader 7.0, then reinstall it. For me, this required a reboot and reinstalling all the Reader patches (7.01, 7.02, 7.03)... Note: I would recommend starting Acrobat Reader manually and updating first before using it, as the update process can lock up IE and/or UR if the update dialog is displayed at startup...

I can't guarantee the same results for you, but that is the best support I can offer for an Adobe product <grin>!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:51 PM

thank you Kevina! You are one smart cookie...providing tech support for UR and Adobe! I uninstalled Reader V7 and re-installed.....works great. (Works faster in UR than lauching the PDF in Reader!)...sgined: a happy camper
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM

more pdf import problems

Hi

I have been struggling to get pdf files viewed within UR. I have read the thread here and have set the browser option to show pdfs

.html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.pdf;

in the internal window.

I have also tried re-installing acrobat.

All I can get in the internal window is a text version of the content. Two things come to mind. I have acrobat 6.0 ( the full thing not the reader) installed too, but this is not the default route to display pdf files. I have firefox as teh default browser (but can't see how to switch this - I set 'let IE check it is the default browers' in IE options and it didn't bother doing so). Both IE and Firefox open PDF files OK using Adobe reader 7 within a broswers window ( but maybe a new window rather than the same one).

The method I am using to add pdf files to my info database is via file, import, files,...

Not luck so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Are you using the Standard or Professional version of Ultra Recall?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: