PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Text Search

mvermeulen
08-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Is there a function built into Visual Build Pro that will perform a text search on a file and based on the results, allow me to make a conditional decision?

If not, any recommendations or has someone done something similar?

Thanks,
Mark

kinook
08-27-2004, 11:46 AM
The attached sample shows one way to achieve this.

jdavidi
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Grettings!

I tried to combine the posted sample with a process files action (essentially, I am looking for the string "Client.dll" in a set of txt files), but am running into a syntax error.

Here is the conditional build rule:

[InStr(vbld_FSO().OpenTextFile(%PROCFILES_FULLPATH% ).ReadAll(), "Client.dll") > 0]

and here is the output:

Building global subroutine step 'get all csproj files'...
Loading a list of matching files...
Processing file 1 of 34: n:\netsource\buildlist114.txt
Building global subroutine step 'Write File'...
Error expanding macros in property condexpr: <Error at Line 1, Column 32 (Expected ')')
Code: InStr(vbld_FSO().OpenTextFile(n:\netsource\buildli st114.txt).ReadAll(), "Client.dll") > 0>
Build ended.

I threw some single quotes around %PROCFILES_FULLPATH% but that caused:

Building global subroutine step 'get all txt files'...
Loading a list of matching files...
Processing file 1 of 34: n:\netsource\buildlist114.txt
Building global subroutine step 'Write File'...
Error expanding macros in property condexpr: <Error at Line 1, Column 31 (Syntax error)
Code: InStr(vbld_FSO().OpenTextFile('n:\netsource\buildl ist114.txt').ReadAll(), "Client.dll") > 0>
Build ended.

Any ideas?

kinook
01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Try using double quotes rather than single to delimit the string.

jdavidi
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I thank you for the quick response;

[InStr(vbld_FSO().OpenTextFile("%PROCFILES_FULLPATH%").ReadAll(), "Client.dll") > 0]

was indeed all that I needed. I had tried that initally, but had been thrown when I saw the output

Step 'Write File' build rule evaluates false: [InStr(LCase(vbld_FSO().OpenTextFile("%PROCFILES_FULLPATH%").ReadAll())...

as I thought the %PROCFILES_FULLPATH% was being evaluated literally as a string, but this was not the case.

Works like a charm now, thanks again!

--jdavidi

kinook
01-18-2005, 05:15 PM
The value is shown without macros/script expanded to provide more debug info. Otherwise it would only show the result of evaluation (i.e., "evaluates false: False" or "evaluates true: True").