PDA

View Full Version : ZIP Files Created with Visual Build Fail

scott willeke
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
ZIP Files Created with Visual Build Fail

I get an error from WinZIP, Windows XP’s ZIP extraction tool and WinRAR when trying to extract files from a ZIP created visual build pro. I can view the file list, but when I extract them I get the error message: “Unknown Method in <file name>“.

However, I use a tool named Total Commander that is able to extract the files so I know it’s a “valid” ZIP, but apparently is using some compression method that most compression tool don’t recognize. Unfortunately, my colleagues use WinZIP or Windows XP’s ZIP tools and they are unable to open the zips.

Any suggestions?

kinook
02-06-2004, 12:23 PM
From the ZIP Files help topic:

Compression Factor: A numeric value indicating the level of compression (required). 0 or 10 = no compression(fastest method since files are simply stored; 1-9 = compression via the Deflate method varying from minimal compression/fast method (1) to maximal compression/slower method (9); 11-19 = compression via the Enhanced Deflate method varying from minimal compression/fast method (11) to maximal compression/slower method (19).

Note: Some older ZIP utilities cannot read files compressed with Enhanced Deflate compression.

scott willeke
02-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the response. It worked by setting the factor to 6. IMHO you should consider lowering the default setting so that it works in most popular compression programs. Thanks for a great product and great support.

kinook
02-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Since version 5.1, the default compression factor has been 5.