PDA

View Full Version : Capture output of commands run in telnet

tim.bertalot
11-21-2003, 03:18 PM
I am doing some simple tests with the builtin telnet action. At this point all I want to be able to do is run an ls command on a remote unix box and have the output logged. The problem is that even when logging is turned to all, you get no output from the command(s) being run. Is there something I am missing?

kinook
11-21-2003, 05:38 PM
You should get log output from the Telnet action if you choose 'All', but the log output that is generated is diagnostic infromation, not the response text from the server (you can get the response text too by choosing 'All + hex dump' but it will be formatted as a hex dump). If you're not getting any output, make sure you have the latest version of VBP (an update some time back fixed a logging issue on the network actions).

If you really want to get back the formatted output from something like ls, you would need to execute the command on the server and redirect the command's output to a file, then retrieve the file using FTP (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=210) and then log it to the VBP output using a Run Program command of

%DOSCMD% type "drive+path+filename"