PDA

View Full Version : Text file to log

ftrocchia
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi.

What I am trying to do is copy the contents of a text file into the build log. We have a third party process that generates a text file, and I need it to be in the log.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

modernrocketry
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Couple of thoughts:
1. Use the DOS command type in a build step
for example: type myfile.txt

2. Use a VBscript to output to the build log
for example:
in a "Run Script" step use VBscript to output each line using Builder.LogMessage

Perhaps the mighty Kinook Admin will have a better suggestion.

kinook
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
If you're calling the third party process from a Run Program step, choose 'A file' on the Program tab and enter the filename there.

Or

1) Use a script expression like this in a Log Message action:
[vbld_GetFileContents("c:\path\to\file.ext")]

or

[vbld_GetFileContents("%FILE_TO_READ%")]

(if the filename is in macro). Demonstrated in the XML.bld, Advanced.bld, and Script.bld samples.

http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/scriptexpressions.htm
http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/sysscriptfile.htm

2) From a Run Script action:

Builder.LogMessage vbld_GetFileContents("c:\path\to\file.ext")

3) From a Run Program action:

%DOSCMD% type "c:\path\to\file.ext"

ftrocchia
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Worked like a charm.

My next questions is related to the log file. Is there a way to clear the log file?

In my build process I am building, then sending the log in an email. After this I need to continue building and sending a different email. I don't want the first part to be in the log that is sent for the second part.

kinook
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
If you're using text logging format, just delete the file. For instance, in a Run Program step:

%DOSCMD% del "%LOGFILE%"

For XML format, that won't work since it won't be a valid XML file if you delete it mid-build. You may want to put the 2nd part of the build in a separate project (which uses a different log file) and call from the first with a VisBuildPro Project action.

ftrocchia
05-01-2006, 12:40 PM
I've started using the delete command mentioned in the previous post, and it seems to be working for the most part.

The problem I am having is that it appears the file didn't get deleted, it is just being overwritten.

The third step in my process is shorter, so when I look at the logs I am seeing the third step logging, and then it ends, and then I see the rest of the 2nd step.

ftrocchia
05-16-2006, 08:12 AM
bump

kinook
05-16-2006, 01:10 PM
It's not clear to me exactly what you mean. Please ZIP and post or send:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) A reproducible test case -- .bld file(s) that reproduce the problem and can be built here
3) A detailed description of the behavior you get vs. the expected behavior

Thanks.