Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Server busy message

When I open an excel file usng the built in viewer, I get an error message:

"Server busy. The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "switch to" to activate the busy program and correct the problem"

When I click on "switch to" the Windows start menu opens, then when I click on the switch to button again, the start menu closes and the excel file appears in the UR file viewer.

This only happens the first time I view an Excel file in UR, or when I launch UR if the active view whan I shut it down was an excel file.

Sorry about this list of issues ;-(

Graham
Old 05-21-2006, 02:17 PM

This occurs when an OLE application (in this case Excel) is "hosted" within the instance of Internet Explorer (which itself is "hosted" inside of Ultra Recall to display excel/word/powerpoint/visio/.pdf documents and web pages) does not respond in a timely manner.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that Ultra Recall can do to prevent this dialog from being displayed in this situation (that we are aware of)...
Old 05-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
This occurs when an OLE application (in this case Excel) is "hosted" within the instance of Internet Explorer (which itself is "hosted" inside of Ultra Recall to display excel/word/powerpoint/visio/.pdf documents and web pages) does not respond in a timely manner.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that Ultra Recall can do to prevent this dialog from being displayed in this situation (that we are aware of)...
Thanks, I'm not sure I fully understand this, but as it seems to be a timing thing, is it related to how fast the PC is?

Graham
Old 05-21-2006, 06:00 PM

What is occuring is that an instance of Excel is being created within Ultra Recall, which is not responding quick enough to prevent Internet Explorer from "complaining" about the load delay (with the dialog you mentioned). The speed of your computer (CPU, hard drive speed, amount of memory, etc) will affect how long starting Excel takes...
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
What is occuring is that an instance of Excel is being created within Ultra Recall, which is not responding quick enough to prevent Internet Explorer from "complaining" about the load delay (with the dialog you mentioned). The speed of your computer (CPU, hard drive speed, amount of memory, etc) will affect how long starting Excel takes...
Thanks, that is what I thought.

Graham
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm seeing the same "Server Busy" window (not all the time) when I'm running some extensive excel program that takes from minutes up to an hour. In the meantime, I'm not able to use UR at all, clicking "Switch to" or "Retry" doesn't help ("Cancel" is greyed out), very annoying.

The thing is that I don't open excel file from UR! I also tried to reopen UR to make sure that all instances of whatever are closed. Run my excel spreadsheet, and UR hangs again, showing me the "Server busy" dialogue. Why?

Is there anything that can be done? Thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Not that I'm aware of. Apparently some Office or Windows component (i.e., Excel, Explorer, IE, etc.) within the UR process is waiting on the busy external Excel instance and displaying that message.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM

It could be caused by insufficient resource such as memory.
Try to reduce the number of applications.
Armstrong
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
It could be caused by insufficient resource such as memory.
Try to reduce the number of applications.
Armstrong
Quad Core, 4G RAM, and lots of it unused ... so not the case

I need to operate in the "open/close UR as needed" mode, instead of having UR open all the time
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 AM

Very impressive hardware config.
Sorry for not being helpful.
Armstrong
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I would think that if you don't have any tabs with web pages or document items (only text items) open, UR would not having any IE or Office components loaded that would wait on Excel. Can you send or post an Excel spreadsheet that performs a long-running calculation for us to test with (and also the information requested here http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038)? Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: