Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Exit code 1073741819

I have a new project that is doing a series of four InstallShield builds. The first, third, and fourth builds work just fine, but the second build consistently throws an error. I can bring up the InstallShield IDE and build the project without any problem. Can you shed any light on what this exit code means? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM

The reported exit code is being returned by InstallShield. If the Installshield is actually succeeding but returning this error code (it can safely be ignored), then just ignore it, otherwise you will need to figure out why InstallShield is reporting an error.

You reported the exit code, is any additional info about errors being logged?

If you want to ignore this particular exit code, you can add a vbld_StepDone method similar to this (vbscript, requires Visual Build Professional 6.0):

Code:
Sub vbld_StepDone()
	If CLng(Application.ExpandMacros("%RUNPROGRAM_EXITCODE%")) = -1073741819 Then
		Step.BuildStatus = vbldStepStatSucceeded
	End If
End Sub
Old 01-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your quick response.

Every indication I have is that the InstallShield build is doing everything it's supposed to do. The InstallShield log indicates no errors and one of the last build functions is to distribute the install to a designated location. The distribute function is working properly so there can't be much left that InstallShield is trying to do.

Here's the tail end of the log and the only error message I can find:

Log file has been created: <file:F:\Pro10.5Setups\EMSPro340ServicePack\EMSPro FaxServer\Media\default2\Log Files\1-13-2006 02-42-59 PM.txt>
Build finished at Jan 13 2006 02:44 PM
Process completed with exit code -1073741819
1/13/2006 2:44:01 PM: Step 'EMSProFaxServer' failed

I've set the Ignore Fail flag for this particular build but that makes me extremely uneasy since it could fail for some completely legitimate reason and I might not catch it.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

It seems that InstallShield has, for some time, had a habit of sometimes returning this spurious exit code on (apparent) success (at least since v. 9: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=438). kevina's post shows how to work around this specific exit code in VBP rather than marking the step to ignore all failures (you may also want to check LASTSTEP_OUTPUT for success/failure indicators).

You might try updating to the latest version (not sure which version you have) of IS or open a support incident with the InstallShield folks in the hope that they will finally fix the problem. BTW, -1073741819 decimal equals C00000005 hex (most likely an access violation).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: