Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Command line VBP tool

I would like to know -if I have one licence for VBP and I need to perform automated builds on 2 boxes ->is there any VBP command line tool (freeware) which installed on second box will allow me only to run the VBP project (I do not need to change it as I will do it on first box)?
I have soemthing similar with IShield -on the box where I have the licence I am doing the development and on other boxes I have installed a freeware tool -IS clean build-which allows me only to compile IS Projects from command line.
As about VisBuildCmd.exe -I think it is not free ,it is part of normal VBP installation.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Currently, you would need a VBP license for each computer where builds will be performed, although we are looking into offering a runtime version of VBP for a future release (but it will probably not be free).

For InstallShield, I believe that you need the Premier edition (which costs $4,000+ for one developer) in order to install and use their stand-alone build tool on up to 10 other computers (see http://community.installshield.com/s...d.php?t=178625 and http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/..._IS2009_en.pdf). Compared to that, VBP is already much less expensive to just purchase full licenses or a site license.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.
Any horizont of time when the runtime version will be available?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Great Idea

this would come in handy as I have a lot of people assisting with running the scripts I create but I dont want them to modify them in any way. Please keep me in the loop when something like this is available, I would also be willing to be a beta tester for this.

Thanks
Craig
Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by teognost
Thank you very much for your answer.
Any horizont of time when the runtime version will be available?
Hopefully in the next few months.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Script Runner

I remeber there was talk of just having a runner application that would allow you to just run the scripts without the ablity to edit.

Is that still in the works? I would really be intereseted in something like that, if there is any beta testing I would like to be a part of that.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Another Thought

Mabey even a what to password protect the file so that other users of the build machine couldnt edit the scripts.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

With VBP v7, a couple of options:

1) During installation, choose the Minimal installation option, which installs only the console app (see Introduction -> Installation in the installed help for more details) for building but not editing projects

2) The runtime version of Visual Build can be used for build-only installations. You can learn more about it here:
http://www.kinook.com/VisBuildPro/Manual/Runtime/

We are also considering providing a read-only capability for the GUI app (requiring entry of a password in order to modify) in a future release.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM

This just runs the applicaiton from a command line I want the users to be able to step though the script and be able to see it in the GUI, I just want to disable editing of the scripts. Like you would need Acrobat to create a PDF but a all you need is Reader to view and interact with the PDF

Having a password lock on the file would accomplish that, if that is something that will be incorporated, when would a feature like that be available?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

We don't have an ETA yet for when that might be implemented.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: