Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM

File Management (links/storage/paths)

How do you all handle file management in conjunction with UR? I love that I can import documents and store them in my UR db, but I an see that becoming unwieldy when I get hundreds of documents aggregated.

But if I only link to them, how do I manage paths? It would be nice if I could specify a "path to document storage" that was used (unless told otherwise) so I don't break all my links if I can't replicate the exact same setup on my next computer, or if I need to move files to a flash drive, etc.

I also Copernic desktop search so maybe I can forego actually storing most documents and just have a very broadly categorized store of documents?

curious what others are doing...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 AM

One option is to create a folder in the same location as your .urd file (perhaps with the same name with .folder added on) to store your linked documents. Paths will automatically be stored relative to the .urd file, so you can move this folder and the .urd file together and the links will remain valid.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Here's an additional tip. MS has included a utility called "linkd" in the Win resource kit since NT that creates symbolic links between items. Rather than keeping your physicak data folder in the .urd folder, create a link to whereever your data is actually stored using linkd instead. From UR's standpoint the link looks like a regular local folder even though the data is somewhere else, and the relative relationship that kevina described is maintainted. You can move your data wherever you want and just update the link to get things running again.

Don't confuse this with a Windows shortcut which is just a whimpy attempt at this.

I don't know why MS doesn't include linkd with the OS (this is standard stuff in UNIX), but if you don't have the resource kit, Sysinterals has a free utility called Junction that does the same thing at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/junction

Maynard
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Maynard, warm thanks; just what I needed!

alx
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

Thanks!!

Maynard: you just filled in a major missing piece in my life!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: