Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 PM

Can't turn off Sort Siblings

After invoking Sort Siblings in the tree, now I cannot turn it off--i.e., the checkmark in the popup menu stays checked regardless of clicking on it.

This is happening in a tree branch of Contact records. So I tried selecting the Sort Siblings option in a different set of Contact records (I have a couple of them in this UR database), and now it is stuck in the check marked state also.

I've exited UR and restarted it; no change.

This wouldn't normally be a big problem, but I've just imported several hundred contact records and about 1/3 of them need to be edited (due to the data source, not UR) in a way that affects the Title Expression result. So every time I finish an edit, the record suddenly gets moved to its new position in the sort order and I "lose my place" in the group of records I was editing.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Move one of the siblings up and/or down to turn off sorting of siblings.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 AM

OK, but that seems uncharacteristically counterintuitive for UR. I'd expect clicking the menu item to turn it off....a wishlist item?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Administrator

We thought it was the most intuitive behavior, since if sorted order isn't desired, multiple item(s) will usually be manually ordered into the desired locations.

The first time Sort Siblings is selected, it sorts alphabetically. The 2nd time, it sorts in reverse alphabetic order. It didn't seem intuitive that a 3rd time would "unsort" (which wouldn't have any obvious effect on the order), and it's less work to move the first item down, then up, if that's what you want (initially sorted but not retain sort order when changing item titles).

There is also an option -- Tools | Options | Trees | Alphabetically sort when adding children to new items -- that you may want to uncheck if you generally want unordered lists when importing.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation, and I agree with (or at least don't disagree with) pretty much every other design aspect of UR that I've seen so far. But I'm going to disagree with you on this one.

I think it's bad human engineering when a menu item can be turned on (placed in a checked state) by clicking it but not turned off by clicking it again, and there's no readily apparent way to turn off sorting. It's the kind of thing about which new users may have to post a tech. support request.<g>

(The Help mentioned that clicking the menu item a second time reverses the sort order, but if there was a mention of how to turn off Sort Siblings I missed it.)

As for me, I'd be happier with some kind of three-state command: Sort ascending, Sort descending, Don't sort.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: