Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Old 03-08-2006, 05:31 PM

Selecting all VS projects in a solution

I'm trying to build a Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 solution using Visual Build Professional (VBPro) v6.1. How do I indicate that I wish to build all projects in the solution?

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

The Make VS.NET action will build all projects that are configured to be built in the VS configuration manager (Build | Configuration Manager in the IDE).
Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 AM

My reply

Obviously.

I'll repeat and slightly rephrase my question. Is there a way outside of individually building projects rather than one solution to get VBPro to build ALL projects contained within that solution REGARDLESS, and here is the key, of how many projects the solution has checked to be build (Alt B+T). I should be able to have the "Select None" option specified in that dialog and still would like ALL projects contained within that solution built.

From what I can see, here are the options.

1. I am forced to build individual projects and should replace the solution with multiple projects. Note, I'm trying to avoid this option, which is why I posted this thead.

2. Modify using VBPro the workspace file. I'd have to be told what to change and how for this one. I presume that VS05 stores the settings in the Solutions Options file, which I checked and is a binary file.

3. I can possibly pass some argument to the build engine, not that I know what that is. You'd have to specify.

4. Something that I haven't thought.

Thank you in advance,

Me
Old 03-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

The projects in a solution that will be built by the Make VS.NET action are determined by the Configuration Manager dialog (&Build | C&onfiguration Manager), not the Batch Build dialog (&Build | Ba&tch Build). So you could just check the Build checkbox in the Configuration Manager for all projects/configs/platforms and save the solution.

That information is indicated in the .sln file by the existence of a line like

{GUID}.config|platform.Build.0 = config|platform

for each row with the Build checkbox checked, so it would also be possible to automate munging of the .sln file to add any missing lines (see attached sample).
Attached Files
File Type: bld mungesolution.bld (2.5 KB, 3096 views)
Old 03-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Web Projects

If I have to build individual projects what is the "project file" for a website? Assume that the solution consists of several C# projects and an associated website. I understand how to individually build the C# projects, although I'm hoping that VBPro can set by some method to do a batch build on ALL projects in the solution regardless of whether the batch build settings has all "projects" checked or not, but don't immediately see how to build the embedded website.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:49 PM

I didn't see your reply, when I posted my last reply. I'll check out your attachment. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 PM

Cool Script! It works!

That's one heck of a cool script. It's a hidden treasure. Thanks! Works great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: