Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 04:55 PM

Create logical linked items for duplicate URLs

I am using the latest version and just noticed this. Perhaps I am expecting it should work in a certain way, but it does not.

I was web clipping for some research and inadvertently clipped the same article (same url). There is no indication that these two clips (in different sections of the same database) are linked. What am I not understanding?

Thank you.

Jon

P.S. Yes, the option is checked.

P.P.S Also, the page title is frequently not captured. Try the New York Times site. I am using the latest version of Firefox and the standard combination of CTRL+C then WIN+V.

Last edited by Jon Polish; 03-04-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Administrator

If you select all or part of a web page, copy, and import into UR, UR imports the web content that was copied to the clipboard, and:
a) The option to logically link an item with the same URL will not be used, because the content that is being imported could differ (i.e., only part of the page) from the content stored for another item with the same URL.
b) Firefox and Chrome do not include the title in the web content placed on the clipboard, so UR doesn't have a title to assign to the imported item.

If instead you copy the page's URL and import into UR:
a) The logical link option will be honored (the URL does have to be an exact match).
b) UR will retrieve the title from the content of the document at that URL and assign to the imported item's title.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Thank you for the explanation. Apparently I am still learning after all these years.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: