Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Title Attribute

To Kinook:

would it be possible for the "Title Attribute" of the "non-Core Template" item to be user specific, ie. user can choose what attribute to choose for "Title Attribute" for a given template item?

The reason for this request is this:
I have several templates, many of them have a (unique) qualifier given by the attribute that I'd like to use for the Title. But because I'm forced to use the Item Title for the Title attribute, I have to store redundant information because both Item Title and my unique qualifier are same. What's more, it can cause inconsistency in my data if I change the Title but not the attribute or the other way around.

It seems that UR was build with this idea in mind, cause otherwise the Title Attribute wouldn't have a value that's another attribute. Well, it's used for Contact template, so why not give the users more freedom to use this feature for their own templates? (the next level would be the possibility to use combined attributes, just like in the Contact template)

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 PM

quant,

Do you mean that the Attribute: Item Title should be able to derive it's value from the value of one or more other Attributes?

For example, you have two user-defined Attributes:

Event Date and Event Type

so that for a Template you could define a default value for Item Title of:

%Event Date% - %Event Type%

I guess we're asking for access to Attribute Variables?

Where else could you use such access, in the rtf editor?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
quant,

Do you mean that the Attribute: Item Title should be able to derive it's value from the value of one or more other Attributes?
It already does, the "Title Attribute" value is at the moment the value of the "Item Title" (apart from Contact template where combined attribute values are used), so I don't see any problem. This would at the same time solve another problem, where people often want to use date for "Title attribute" but are forced to use string valued "Item Title" and this value is duplicated somewhere among item's attributes.

Quote:
I guess we're asking for access to Attribute Variables?
eventually, yes
But for the moment, technically speaking, "Title attribute" is not among the regular attributes (but they call it an attribute in their help file, and is present among Template attributes), so maybe there is some programming reason why this cannot be extended to regular attributes. Maybe Kinook can provide more insight?

Quote:
Where else could you use such access, in the rtf editor?
Possibilities are endless, limited only by our grey matter

Last edited by quant; 03-27-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 AM

Good ideas! I must admit I already thought a couple of times about the endless possibilities of attribute variables in UR, especially now with the form attributes of version 3.

It was also starting about how to set imported document titles to some combination of custom attributes.

But I also know this is just the faint predecessor of the cry for UR's own scripting language. And as great this would be, it may be more important first to polish other edges in UR, to open it to a wider 'mainstream public'. As the stability for future development for a document managing system is at least as important as its brilliant logical capabilities and relative ease of use...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: