Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Saving Web Pages - Again

Dear Kinook,

I really like your product BUT, when I have to save web pages, UR stumbles in 2 areas:

#1. UR is really really slow to capture the page... up to 60 seconds per web page.

#2. Too often the web page is not captured correctly. For example, go to www.hertz.com and try saving it to UR. I always get a java script error. Other web sites are only partially saved.

I have been forced to used another product for saving web pages. This product saves pages in about ~5-10 seconds and the pages are saved correctly.

I really hate having to use 2 separate products.

Do you have have "tips or tricks: on saving web pages???

Does the "road map" address the 2 issues listed above??? I hope so, because I want to use just 1 product.... UR :-)

Thanks for listening

-jj
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

#1. 60 seconds does seem very slow for web page capture. hertz.com imported in about 4 seconds here (about the same time as loading the page in IE). We may need to send a debug build to trace what is slowing things down on your PC.

#2. hertz.com uses some funky JavaScript that prevents the URL from being imported properly by UR. For these types of sites, you can select the entire page (Ctrl+A) and then copy/paste, drag/drop, or use the UR browser toolbar buttons to import the page loaded in the browser. In my tests w/ UR 3.1.1 on Windows XP SP2 w/ IE 6, this brings in everything except the ad images on the bottom and right.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Why does Ultra Recall take so much longer to save a webpage ?

Besides Ultra Recall, I use two other program to capture webpages. I'm actually trying to settle on 1 or 2 but not using all 3.

Ideally, I would like to stick with just 1 and hopefully I would like to settle on just using Ultra Recall.

And both these other programs are much faster at the webpage captures.

For example, it may take Ultra Recall a full 12 full seconds, Program A, 1 sec and Program B 3 secs.

Program A also indexes the captures and I can search for the article instantaneously.

Program B also indexes the captures except that it does not do instantaneous search. I have to type the keyword and hit enter.

I'm just plain curious - Why the big difference ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: