Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 06-08-2005, 09:23 AM
AndyChamp

Angry Delphi Versions incorrect?

I'm building a project that includes a Delphi 5 .dpr file. I want to update the version. I've gone to the versions tab, and selected "Set the project version to a specific value" - It's 8.01.00.0524 today. I'm updating both the file and project verions. When I examine the resources after the compile with Visual Studio .net 2003's resource editor, I see that the file and product *text* versions are set correctly, but the *binary* versions are both set to 8,1,0,340. This had me really puzzled for a while, until I realised that to a C programmer 0524 represents an octal constant with the equivalent decimal value being 340!

A little more poking showed that if the number has an 8 or 9 in it, the compile fails, and if I omit the leading zero the binary number comes out correctly. This looks like a VBP problem to me - comments?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 PM

For some reason the Delphi resource compiler treats numbers starting with a leading zero as an octal value.

The Delphi 5 IDE works around this inconsistency in their version compiler by stripping off any leading zeros in the version specification you provide (you can see this in action in the IDE when specifying the version info in the Project Options dialog).

The same workaround fixes the issue when building from Visual Build Professional: simply do not specify leading zeros in the provided version specification (ie. specify 8.1.0.524 instead of 8.01.00.0524).
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 AM
AndyChamp

OK, that's what I did as a work round. I hadn't realised it was a Delphi problem, I avoid Delphi as much as possible!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: