Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Missing data

I am using the latest version of UR on a 2 year old computer running XP SP2. UR generally works well and I have had few of the problems outlined over the past few weeks however, I have one problem that periodically gives me great concern.

I will be working in UR and then might (I'm not absolutely sure) lose focus and go to another program for a bit (e.g. Outlook) and then return to UR. The tree appears normal but when I click on a tree item, the contents of the data window are not there. If I click on other tree items, none of them contain contents. It is a bit scary.

If I then close the file, (not UR, just the file) and reopen it, all is well, everything is normal.

What is going on? This can be quite offputting.

Generally, I think UR is a very good package. I use it and MyInfo and I like both of them; UR is a bit more customizable, so right now it gets the nod. MyInfo is VERY stable.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

That is strange. What kind of item was selected before, and what item(s) are affected afterwards (text, web page item, form, other document, external web page, all)? Does pressing F5 or Shift+F5 cause it to display the detail pane contents? Can you narrow down at all what triggers this behavior (we've never encountered it)? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM

To be honest, I cannot tell you precisely. There does not seem to be any particular pattern. This has happened 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks. I will try and keep a record of what I was doing immediately before it happens and then contact you again.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM

It happened again. I clicked on a hyperlinked file in the Detail pane, read the file and then closed it and when I closed it the file name was no longer in the detail pane and all the other detail panes were empty. This was not an internet link. It was to a file on my hard drive.
I just did it again. I was using a contact template and had the file linked in the white area below the form. I looked at the file and then used the green arrow next to the search pane to go back. When I did so, I could get back to the contact template, could see the hyperlink again, but the children were all blank. When I went to other bits of the data tree, nothing was available in the data pane.
I went through and tried various things to make it crash. Only one thing, a link to a word (*.doc) document and the link was in the comments part of a contact template
F5 and Shift F5 did nothing.
I am NOT going to go into the Registry to get anything. Maybe UR has problems but I am not going to risk fouling up my computer by making a mistake with Registry.

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2.4
Registered to: Donald Spady (1-user license)
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.05
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.06
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.4.1
unins000.exe version 51.46.0.0
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsftEdit.dll version 5.41.15.1514
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RichEd20.dll version 5.30.23.1228
Database filename: D:\UltraRecall Work\Peak Oil and Public Health.urd
Database version: 3.0.13
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM

I tried hyperlinks to another Word document and had no problem.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Happened again (or maybe was an extension of the previous crash, not sure), but closing and reopening the file did not work. I had to shut down UR using exit and then restart. Everything OK then.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM

I thought I had the latest version of UR but I didn't. I had 3.2.4.1 and the latest is 3.2.4.3. I downloaded that and installed it. Same problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

If UR tries to open a hyperlink in the internal browser, but the browser can't (or is not configured to) display it, you can end up with a blank detail view in UR and the file opening externally. To force the document to open externally (and prevent the blank page in UR), either:

1) Hold down Shift when clicking the link
or
2) Check 'Tools | Options | Browser | Launch shortcuts in external browser window by default'
or
3) Add the extension(s) of the files that open externally to 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally'

I was also able to reproduce the situation where if a hyperlink within the detail text area of a form item is clicked, resulting in UR attempting to open in the internal browser, then the detail pane may be blank when viewing non-form text items until the database is closed/reopened or UR is restarted. This will be fixed in the next release. For now, use one of the methods above to open links in a form item.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 AM

I used option 3. Works OK. Many thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 AM

I have not encountered the problem as detailed but would just like to thank Kinook for sorting and making Ultra Recall even more stable as an onging process.

I believe software is never actually finished being written as there are always improvments or tweaks that can be or would be nice to do.

I moved from another software to Ultra Recall because of the active forum and feedback from Kinook themselves with active solution solving.

There has been a lot of posts highlighting problems and I suppose that is logical as it is those that need posting most but I would like to say how pleased I am with Ultra Recall and its progression.

My requirements for any software are that it

1) Solves a need by doing a job better than other means.
2) That it does that job in a safe and reliable way.
3) That I can use it the way I would like.
4) That it can grow with my needs.
5) That it does not cost too much.

WELL DONE KINOOK with Ultra Recall, you have met my requirments.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: