Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mvermeulen
Remote Processing - Passing Parameters

I am successfully running several remote calls for the release process in promoting code from build to stage to qa servers. It would be valuable to be able to pass a parameter based on the outcome of a particular stage. Is it possible with the current configuration to do this?
Example: I would like to tell the VBP process on another server to kickoff and use either the debug or the release flag based upon the previous task.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

One way would be to write the status to some file at the end of the remote build, then either read the status from that file (or possibly use the existence of the file as the status) in the next remote build project or pass it from the "driver" project to the next remote build project via the command-line.

Another option would be for all remote projects to share a global macros file on a network share (using one of the methods here [1] to load it at startup), and then update/use a global macro with the status to be passed between builds.

[1] http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=36
Old 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
One way would be to write the status to some file at the end of the remote build, then either read the status from that file (or possibly use the existence of the file as the status) in the next remote build project or pass it from the "driver" project to the next remote build project via the command-line.
threadid=36[/url]
Could you explain a little further regarding the "driver" project please. I don't understand what you mean here...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

You didn't provide a lot of detail, but it sounded like you were launching several remote builds from a "driver" build project on another "client" computer.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Sorry, will be glad to provide a better explanation. Trying to get to the same level on terminology.

We use a three stage build process. The initial system performs the compile and assembling the file system structure. Upon successful compile, I launch a remote call to the "stage" server which starts another VBP project to "pull" the files to a central repository. This area is used for regression testing as well.

Once this portion is completed, a third stage is initiated. Again, remote call to testing server. A VBP project is started to once again pull the latest build, this time from the stage server.

I would like to be able to run either a debug or release configuration build (which will be stored in two different locations). Based upon which is performed, I want to pass the location to the next stage/step. This way I reduce the manual intervention in the process to as little as possible.

Small steps... working really well so far.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

You would typically pass macros on the command-line (i.e., CONFIG=Debug/Release, DEST=loc1/loc2) to specify which config and target locations to use.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 AM

Thank you! I did not realize that it was really that simple. Terrific information.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: