Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Opera anyone?

Is there any interest in 'Opera' & URp? I ask because it seems faster but I don't know the issues, difficulties, possibilities or interest in seeing Opera used as an alternative to IE & FF.

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield CT USA
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM

please no, UR needs 100s other things to improve upon ...

Opera market share is waaaaaaay to low to be of any interest ...

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

I use Opera and like it very much. Copying and pasting have always been problematic because the clipboard will only pick up text (there is a way to get graphics, but it takes some effort). The real problem for me is copying the source URL with the copied text. That does not happen with Opera so I end up copy/paste the URL and the selected text as a two step operation.

Funny, because you can get the source URL when clipping with Zoot.

Opera really is worth a look. I have been using it every day since you had to buy it. Opera is free now.

Jon

Last edited by Jon Polish; 08-24-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM

I support quant's -quantitative argument.

0pera's very low market share means that most content providers develop to provide the best experience while viewing with IE and Firefox. I wouldn't want UR's developers to shoulder the additional liabilities and burdens resulting from additional browser issues likely outside of their control.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:30 PM

The overwhelming # of negative responses re: any Opera linkage convinces me that this would be a mistake.

Thanks for responding. I didn't realize it was that big of a project. Live & learn.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

I would love to see Opera embeddable inside UR.

I've been an Opera user since 3.x back in 1997.

It's quite simply the best browser there is. Firefox is the only thing to come along to give it any real competition. The plugin architecture is the only feature that Firefox has over Opera (and it's a big feature, I agree!). The number of things Opera has over Firefox is too long to list

That said, I wouldn't want Opera to be the default embedded browser control in UR. The average user should get something they already know and are familiar with. And there are sometimes (very few) sites that don't work perfectly in Opera and do work in FF/IE.

I know Adobe GoLive used (and still uses?) Opera as the internal rendering engine. So I suppose it's technically possible to do it.

Side note: If you are new to Opera you really have to invest the time to learn its power. It's much like Ultra Recall in that respect.

I do agree with quant, however, that UR needs other things much more urgently. (Scripting/Plugins please!)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Implemented in v6.0.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: