Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Auto-complete in search

Is it possible to add a live word autocomplete in the search interface? I have a need to quickly narrow down & identify one of tens of thousands of names as I type as is possible in other database software. I find this feature extremely helpful elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:45 PM

The search features in Ultra Recall are already quite good but I think this could indeed be a useful addition. (I assume with "live word autocomplete" you mean the same as "search as you type").

Ultra Recall already offers something similar with the option "Select first match after research completes" (to find at Tools -> Options -> Search).

It depends on the specific (search) situation and the needs of the user what is more useful for him:

- "RightNote" (for example) offers "search as you type" but you always have additionally to click on the item in the search results in order to open it.

- With Ultra Recall you have to press "Enter" after typing into the search field so that the search results are displayed. But in combination with the above mentioned option ("Select first match....") you have the enormous advantage that afterwards the first matching item is displayed immediately.

Personally I tend to prefer the method offered by Ultra Recall as anyway the first item will often be the one I am looking for. So with this method I can have it on the screen very easily and quickly. (And in case I need some other item I click on it afterwards in the list with the search results.)

- Technically both methods could be combined too: "Search as you type" and automatical display of the first matching item. But I think it is difficult to find a software which offers it. I know it only from "azzCardfile" (at least in its version 4). Especially for certain needs - e.g. looking up something in a dictionary or any other type of list (names, book titles etc.etc.) - this method is incredible quick and comfortable. From this point of view "azzCardfile" is outstanding and better than any other software of this category I know.

So I think that such a combination could be an excellent feature for Ultra Recall too.

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-11-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Wink

I believe this is requesting auto-completing of words (i.e., start typing 'sup' and it automatically fills the rest of the search term [i.e., sup -> super, supp -> suppertime, etc.] based on the words existing in the database). There is already auto-complete of values for a particular attribute in the form view, but I don't see the value of this when typing a search term.

Search as you type is already available by adjusting Tools | Options | Search | Incremental search delay when typing.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
I believe this is requesting auto-completing of words (i.e., start typing 'sup' and it automatically fills the rest of the search term [i.e., sup -> super, supp -> suppertime, etc.] based on the words existing in the database).
Ah, I see. So this expression refers to the behaviour in the search field and not in the list with the search results.
Indeed Farlanw obviously had this in mind as whe wrote "a live word autocomplete in the search interface".

Quote:
but I don't see the value of this when typing a search term.
That's my opinion too. When typing a search term I prefer not to be distracted by possible completions already in the same field or window where I am typing. That's a matter for the result pane / window / list (whatever). (--> "search as you type" / "incrementel search")

And I think Farlanw's purpose could be achieved in this way too: The "need to quickly narrow down & identify one of tens of thousands of names as I type" then simply is fulfilled on the place where the search results can be seen.

But:

Quote:
Search as you type is already available by adjusting Tools | Options | Search | Incremental search delay when typing.
If we mean the same thing: I cannot see a difference when changing the value there for the milliseconds. The search results always appear only after pressing "Enter" (and not automatically).

For example (performing the mode "Search titles only"):
1. I type "ABFL" in the search box.
2. Then I press "Enter".
3. Only then the search results appear (in my example: 5 items).
(see the image)

I also attach my search settings in case I made some mistake in my options.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2021, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Ah, I see now. The search while typing only occurs in the Quick Search item itself. Instead of using the toolbar combo, press Ctrl+Shift+F to go to the Quick Search item, then start typing and it will initiate the search after the configured delay. But you probably will not want to use Select first match after search completes, especially with a very small delay, since that will happen as soon as you start typing, so you'll only be able to type one letter, then it will search and select the first match.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The search while typing only occurs in the Quick Search item itself. Instead of using the toolbar combo, press Ctrl+Shift+F to go to the Quick Search item, then start typing and it will initiate the search after the configured delay.
Ah, I see. This is exactly what I had in mind. Is there a reason why the search cannot be performed in this way from the toolbar combo too? (Preferably as an option. For certain users or needs it may be good to have the intermediate step of pressing "Enter".)

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-12-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Tags
autocomplete live search

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: