Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Question running UR from a USB memory stick

Can I run UR from a USB memory stick and will it put any files anywhere else if run on another computer?

I want to be able to run UR from a USB memory stick on other peoples computers to get to information (also on my memory stick)

I dont want it to put any files or setting on to the other computers though.

Any advice welcome.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 AM

My experience of running UR from a USB memory stick on other peoples computers is as follows;

Although the 'Help|About|InstallInfo' dialog shows that it is a register copy when I use the USB version on my home computer, with a registered copy of UR installed, when I run the same application file on another computer it always says "Evaluation Copy: 60 Days remaining".

Consequently, I cannot add new items to any URD file that already contains more than 1000 items.

I can still add text to the contents of existing items, so it's better than the viewer, but less than ideal for some purposes!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 AM

I want to start running UR off USB in the next couple of months so i'm also very interested in this thread.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM

you have to register the USB copy as well, use your license (UR will create license file on USB). UR reads first the registries I suppose, and then looks for license file stored on USB if there is no license in the registries. It works no problem!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 AM

does it write anything to other peoples computers registry when used from a USB drive?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Some harmless entries are written under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall (for window sizes and positions that are specific to that computer's screen size). But most settings are stored in configuration files on the USB drive. Temporary files may get created in the current user's TEMP folder, but these will be cleaned up when UR exits.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM

For USB use is it possible in a future update to have all settings on the USB drive ?

Or is it possible to have a reg file to clean all traces with one click rather than editing the registry directly to clear them ?

I use other peoples computers and would prefer not to leave any alteration after use.

Maybe I'm too fussy ? NO don't answer that ;-)
Old 05-16-2007, 11:48 AM

I have now mastered the making and use of Reg files to delete entries from the registry so that should not now be a problem - I hope ;-)

Found this helpfull
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Last edited by eno; 05-16-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM

eno wrote...

> I have now mastered the making and use of Reg files to
> delete entries from the registry so that should not now be
> a problem - I hope ;-)

I guess we're pretty safe with home grown solutions to perform registry clean up. Mostly more experienced computer users are going portable let alone wanting to do full registry clean up.

Still, I wouldn't mind a check box in options, eg. "Prompt for registry clean up when closing application?". Leave it to the experts hey? Be nice if this prompt occurred after full closure of URD file on USB drive and removal of all TEMP files.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM

It would be nice if UR did run clean from a USB drive.

More and more programs that I use everyday are going portable so it is a thing more people will require.

The reg file thing, I made some false entries in the registry and then with a reg file written to delete them with one click (plus confirmation) my false entries were gone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: