Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Hilary, seems that I found the problem that could lead to overwriting one item by another, reported to Kinook, so hopefully corrected very soon, and we all can sleep a little bit better ;-)
Well, hey, that's nice. Why not share some of the details to those of us who have been curious for a long time?
Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Well, hey, that's nice. Why not share some of the details to those of us who have been curious for a long time?
Why not? Because I firmly believe that if someone knows that there is a (serious) bug (as opposed to some small annoyance), it is best and fair to the company to report it directly to developers so that they can deal with it promptly, rather than spreading it over the forums ...
Old 09-15-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Why not? Because I firmly believe that if someone knows that there is a (serious) bug (as opposed to some small annoyance), it is best and fair to the company to report it directly to developers so that they can deal with it promptly, rather than spreading it over the forums ...
Well IMO that defeats the purpose of these forums. It's not just for cutsie chit chat. It's too learn about all things URp -- simple & serious but you have your opinion & I have mine & no use wasting bandwidth.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well IMO that defeats the purpose of these forums.
it doesn't even slightest. if you know there is a bug, neither I nor you or anybody in the forums can do anything to correct it, except developers. No point to discuss it. This is not about suggestions, or discussing concepts or learning sth new ...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
it doesn't even slightest. if you know there is a bug, neither I nor you or anybody in the forums can do anything to correct it, except developers. No point to discuss it. This is not about suggestions, or discussing concepts or learning sth new ...
Well, then I suggest there is no reason, except ego, perhaps, to announce you've found a solution to a problem that maybe we can all avoid until it is fixed. And this will be my last post on this subject.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:02 PM

to post or not to post

What do you think about posting an obvious bug to UR forum? Is there any rationale? My point of view on this is here http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...=&postid=10767

I'd like to hear yours
Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Well, then I suggest there is no reason, except ego, perhaps, to announce you've found a solution to a problem that maybe we can all avoid until it is fixed. And this will be my last post on this subject.
I agree entirely!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasymington
I agree entirely!
how many times were your or anybody else's items rewritten in all UR existence and what is the probability that there will be one rewritten item of any user by the time Kinook will fix it?

I wrote straight away to Kinook when I found this bug, and felt very happy that this problem could be resolved for all users (at the end this might be just another bug and the one that Hilary experienced might be simply another one), so just wrote a short note here that the problem will be fixed very soon, ... and you call me egoist, thank you ... I learned my lesson ...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 AM

quant, I was hasty in saying I agreed entirely and I apologise for any offence I've caused you; however, I do think for you to post that you have identified a sequence of actions that can cause these problems but not to reveal what they are is unhelpful.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 AM

ok, I'm breaking my principles ... partly because Kinook didn't resolve it yet ... I hope it makes you happy

create any item say item1 and open it in two tabs
go to second tab, and "shift delete" this item1
close second tab

Now note that the first tab still shows item1 as active altogether with its content, but in the Data explorer tree the focus is on another item, and typing now anything inside, you are actually rewriting the content of this focused item

and I have a feeling there might be various similar tabs related problems still unresolved ... but this might show what might get wrong so hopefully help in finding the others as well
Old 09-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Yes, I can see that happens the way you describe, quant; but it doesn't explain the problem I've had as I never use shift+delete.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I can see that happens the way you describe, quant; but it doesn't explain the problem I've had as I never use shift+delete.
From all the posts it does appear to me that some/all of these reported problems have tabs in common.

For example, I can report that if in tab #1 I have an automated search, i.e. search when gets focus & in tab #2 I have a linked URL (either local or not) & URL is trying to resolve & I close tab, IDI focus then shifts to tab #1 thus forcing two functions to occur at the same time & on my machine this will invariably cause an error.

It's like the clash of the titons. Does this mean that URp can't handle overlapped processes? I don't pretend to be smart enough to answer that question but I am now careful not to create this situation.

All the problems I've reported seem to be rooted in tabs.

I've had data loss while entering data into tabbed window when duplicate tabs are present but not always. I try not to let this happen. This may be related to Quant's report. But I assume entering data into 2 tabs simultaneously qualifies as two functions....??

Like you, I don't use <SHFT>+<Delete> either & I certainly won' t now.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
shift-delete is just a shortcut, i doesn't make difference, you can delete and then empty recycle bin, ... same thing.
The basic problems is, deleting item while it's still active in another tab ...
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks to quant's support info, we were able to reproduce this problem: if an item is shown in one tab and is permanently deleted in another tab (either via Shift+Del or Del and then emptying the recycle bin), when switching back to the first tab, the detail pane still shows the text of the deleted item, but changing the text actually edits the item that is now selected in the tree (a different item since the other one no longer exists). This problem is fixed in v3.2.2.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Unhappy

Luckily this didn't result in one item overwriting another, but perhaps is gives a further clue to how it might happen.

As you can see from the picture there are 4 tabs open and the third from the left is the active one; but, although it has the correct item title in the tab, the item title on the form, and all the other contents of the item, are from the second tab.

I selected another item in the third tab and then went back to the one I wanted and, as I say, the correct contents were still there. Worrying, nevertheless!!!!
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: