Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 03:33 AM

Visual Build Pro vs. Team Foundation Build

Hi folks,
I just wanted to discuss with you advantages/disadvantages especially between the TFS Build and Visual Build Pro.
One big pro for the TFS-build for example is the reporting and automated email, but what if I use another repository? Then the reports won't be that detailed anymore. Why should I use one or the other?
Thank you,
MrMoon

Ps. I posted this thread at the msdn-forum (TFS Build Automation) as well.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure the products compete directly with each other. You can integrate TFS Build into your VBP process via the Team Build action, and use VBP to manage your entire build process (including things that TFS Build doesn't support).
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM

I have created a workflow activity that calls VisualBuildPro and logs the steps. I have also created a TFS2010 build workflow that uses this to call a VBP script.

I have TFS do the get/label/WIT association, VBP does the compile/test/package,etc. We will be using this to transition to TFS.

So far I am very happy with the results, but I am still in Beta.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:33 AM

I know they're both automation tools, but we're comparing potatoes and french fries here. I'm not anti-TFS, it has its place. But VBP does a great job of doing a lot more than I thought possible when we initially purchased it.

If you don't have the budget for TFS and time isn't a huge issue, I've gotten VBP to do almost everything that TFS does with a little time and programming (including a sweet email integration with sharepoint, GUI interaction tool, and auto kick off with Perforce hooks...among many others).

The only thing I currently lack that I would like is insight into what the build process is doing when kicked off with our GUI. I'm working on that though.

Kinook also has awesome support that I think trumps TFS in terms of turn around time and quality. Instead of sending you on a rat race or getting some huffy reply, they guide you through or fix or just create a better fix on their end that night for you to download. Speaks a lot to their product.

Is there anything specific that you are looking for in an automated tool with VBP that you think you can only do in TFS?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM

I would agree with Japster24, TFS is a great source control system, but I will continue to do my builds with VBP.

I have better control over the whole process from start to finish with VBP than I would with just TFS alone. I manage about 150 different solutions at my work and the number grows daily. VBP provides a visual story line for each application. I can see what's being built, what servers are part of that solution's deployment, what version is deployed in each level, and when it was done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: