Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM

help? Creating default "Child Items Pane" and "Default Attributes Pane"

Hi

I am having little issue with creating a default default child items pane. Now I like how every item has a default-modified child items pane, very useful. But I would like to have a forced default child items pane on every node in the tree. Especially for those that carry very standard UR default child items pane.

I know I can set certain modification as "default" but that does the trick for the items that will be created under that particular tree branch. And that does not force anything on the current existing child items.

I also would like to create default attributes for child items(and force new default atts on items) . I am kind of sick of adding certain attributes again and again I hope there is a way to do this.

thanks

Last edited by dedebaykus; 08-19-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 PM

It sounds like you're working from the default template set, any custom displays you may want for the Child Items or Search Results Pane need to be set at the Template level.

Attributes are also Created/Assigned (and default values) at the Template level.

Changes that you make to the Templates will be reflected in New Items.

The methods required for what you want to do are discussed in the docs available in this thread:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3732

if those file sizes are a problem, come back and we'll talk some more.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 PM

ashwken ,ghanks for the reply.

it is a good start for me. I like the template system and the way it works in UR. I will investigate further.

A quick problem thou, importing using global hotkey will import stuff under the imported items naturally. But this makes template stuff useless little bit because one needs to apply those templates one by one again. I wish there was a smart way of applying templates as well, like based on certain keywords. Or maybe at least drag and drop would enforce new parent`s template on it(which it does not currently).

Edit:
One other problem I am having is that if I create an item as "text" I cannot apply my new custom templates. It just does not show up in the menu. This is a problem because sometimes drag and dropped text will be created as "text" item. I wonder if it is a bug?

thanks

Last edited by dedebaykus; 08-19-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dedebaykus
One other problem I am having is that if I create an item as "text" I cannot apply my new custom templates
you probably created your new custom templates based on "Document" core template that is not compatible with "Text" based templates, see http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...etemplates.htm
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:

A quick problem thou, importing using global hotkey will import stuff under the imported items naturally. But this makes template stuff useless little bit because one needs to apply those templates one by one again. I wish there was a smart way of applying templates as well, ...
See Tools | Options | Import - Insert Imported Item at Bold...

This controls where your imports will reside, if de-selected UR will default to the Importd Items folder (as you have seen), if selected you must set the focus to a folder before importing (or use the Select Location popup, also set in this same Options dialog).

By controling where imports will reside you can set the Default Child Template to the template of choice and it will be used to create new Items from the import.

As quant mentioned, it sounds like you are importing data files and these will use either the default Document Template or a user-defined Template based on the Document Template and assigned as the Default Child described above.

You may also want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3702
Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Yes it seems like my template was based on document., But the problem is that I cannot control the type of content I am copying, dragging and dropping from windows or web or other application. All I want is when I drag and drop onto a branch I want the new item to inherit the template setting. Now it does not because some comes as document some comes as text etc. For example the url content I paste from Firefox is accepting my template but not the ones I copy paste from thunderbird, which in return makes the content management harder.

Probably the solution is creating same template multiple times with different base templates (like text, document, etc)?

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
you probably created your new custom templates based on "Document" core template that is not compatible with "Text" based templates, see http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...etemplates.htm
Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks ashwken, that seems to ease it down little.

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
See Tools | Options | Import - Insert Imported Item at Bold...

This controls where your imports will reside, if de-selected UR will default to the Importd Items folder (as you have seen), if selected you must set the focus to a folder before importing (or use the Select Location popup, also set in this same Options dialog).

By controling where imports will reside you can set the Default Child Template to the template of choice and it will be used to create new Items from the import.

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3702
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
All I want is when I drag and drop onto a branch I want the new item to inherit the template setting. Now it does not because some comes as document some comes as text etc. For example the url content I paste from Firefox is accepting my template but not the ones I copy paste from thunderbird, which in return makes the content management harder.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Thunderbird, I'm running Outlook in which UR provides a couple of Send To options (Copy or Link) as buttons that allow me to "shoot" emails into UR, these emails are seen by UR as a Document (MIME data file, creates an Item based on doc type template).

If I select content within an email body, then copy/paste this selected content into UR, the content is handled (identified) by the clipboard and seen as Text by UR (creates an Item based Text type template, rtf).

How UR will see an Import depends on both source and method - whether or not the Import has a URL (data file).

For example:
From Windows Explorer, for a file *.txt, if I drag/drop or copy/paste this file into UR a Document Type Item will be created. In the case of this text file, even though this Item is based on the Document Template, it's content is still editable in the Detail Pane Viewer Area.

From Windows Explorer, for a file *.txt, if I Open this file in Notepad and copy/paste the content into the UR tree, then a Text Type Item will be created.

If I wanted to apply the same Attributes and Form to both Item Types (Document and Text), there are two pathes available.

I could manipulate the default UR Document Template - assign Attributes and Form, and create a new Text Template - assign Attributes and Form.

This would allow me to assign a specific Template (Text) as the Default Child for an Item, and ALL data Imports (except MIME) would be based on the modified Document Template. Because I've modified the default UR Document Template this solution would be for a specific UR database.

Otherwise,
I need to create new Templates for each Item Type,

then either segragate your imports - allows for Default Child Template assigment (then Move),

or apply a Template (of the same Type) to a selection of Items after import.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: