Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Logging errors then resuming next 'Project Step' after a subroutine step fails

Hi, firstly I'd like to say thankyou for the prompt and helpful answers I have received in the past. Now onto my next question

I have searched on this topic but couldnt find anything that matched my needs closely enough.

I have a large build script that builds a list of applications, for each application a generic subroutine is called that checks code out of sourcesafe, then determines what language the app is in and what compiler is needed by looking at the file extension and then finally checks the code back in.

I want it so that when any one of the subroutine steps fail, an event is fired to log the failure reason (syntax error on line 1643 or blahblah.cpp for instance) then attempt to check the code back in (with ignore fail on in case it cant cos it never checked out successfully) and then continue with the next step in project steps (each application is an individual subroutine call from here).

I've been trying to get this working but the 'failure steps' dont seem to fire if its a subroutine step that fails, and I wouldnt know how to call the 'next' item in the project steps list anyway.

It sounds simple and I'm sure I'm just going about things the wrong way, can you shed any light please. Many thanks in advance.

P.S Is there an easy way i could build an array/list up of each failed project so that in my build script i can choose not to build dependent code. i.e if dll1 dll2 or dll3 failed then dont build app1.