Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Example of NEAR keyword for proximity search

Hello. Can anyone provide me with an example of how to do a proximity search using the "NEAR" operator? For example, suppose I want to find the word "red" within a certain number of words of the word "apple". How do I go about doing this?

I have tried the following by guessing at what is meant by the relevant part of the help system (no examples are given) regarding full-text searching:

red NEAR apple

"red NEAR apple"

Neither of these work for me. The above search text is in the regular search box, not the quick search box and also not in the advanced multi-line search box although neither of those work with this either.

Thanks,
Karl
Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Remove the double quotes and check 'Match whole words'.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
Remove the double quotes and check 'Match whole words'.
That works and is very powerful. It restricts the results to only those that contain the words in proximity to each other. I found that NEAR/5 ensures that the terms are within 5 words of each other, NEAR/10 within 10 words, etc.

It also appears that every search term is highlighted, regardless of whether it is part of the group of terms that satisfy the proximity condition. In other words, every occurrence of "red" and "apple" in the item is highlighted, as well as "red apple" that are in proximity. I don't know if this is intended, and I would prefer that only the terms in proximity be highlighted since only they satisfy the condition, but it is certainly much better than having no such capability.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Administrator

In the latest release (5.4), you no longer need to check 'Match whole words' and can do partial word prefix matches (i.e., red NEAR app).

Tags
full-text , proximity , search

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: