Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 PM

Automate studio .net getlatest cmd

I am wondering if there is a way in the tool to do a getlatest off of the actual files which are part of the project (i.e. do a get latest just as studio does based on the file listing in the *proj files), rather than do a getlatest to get absoltely everything in a source safe project.

My sourcesafe projects contain a variety of files deleted or excluded from the actual vbproj or csproj files, and when I do a get latest using the vss APIs, obviously I get everything.

larbs
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Administrator

No. But it might not be a bad idea to delete the files from SourceSafe as well if they're no longer used by the project (if you don't delete permanently, you can always recover them).
Old 04-30-2003, 11:11 PM

You can always create a text file with a list of files in it that you want to get, then parse that with some script and perform a get on the files one at a time.

Sounds like a lot of work though to achieve something that seems a little misguided in any case. Although there are problems with Source Safe and the way it handles deleted files and labels that never deleting anything could work around. Try CVS instead :-).
Old 05-01-2003, 07:01 AM

You have a point... kindof. In the real world, over a year of dev work with a team of 8, you just accumulate junk in vss, and cleaning out and synching up vss with large solutions is one of those tasks that is hard to find time for.
I do run the vss analyze routine sometimes, and as you say, whenever I go on a blitz deleting stuff vss db gets corrupt. Then I am down to using
http://www.caseextensions.com/vssdel.htm

to do a meta level cleanup after my deletion.
Maybe i will switch to PVCS, my release date is not for 2 weeks... there's time .................
thanks for the responses
Old 05-01-2003, 04:18 PM

We have 7 programmers in our Windows team and a further 4 in our Mac team. The Mac team have switched to CVS and the Windows team is about to. The big benefit is that we will then have a common VC system across platforms. The only real problem then is that we don't have a copy of Visual Build Pro for the Mac team to use :-).

We anticipate that release procedures should be much more straight forward with CVS; we can rely on tags to mark release versions. Labels in VSS are hopeless for getting back the state of the code base at the label. Currently our release VBP project does a share and branch (makes a copy in VSS) of our entire code base!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: