Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Question Cleaning up Keyword List

I changed my mind about how I want my user defined keywords to funcion. As a result, I have keywords in my list which I want to delete. In searching help I couldn't find any hints on deleting these keywords & there is no delete key. I know I can just not check those that I don't want to use but I want to clean up/shorten the list.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Uncheck/uncheck all deletes those keywords for the currently selected item(s). If that is the last item with a particular keyword, the keyword will no longer show up unchecked for other items either.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM

I don't think that is what Jan had in mind. I think he would like to delete one or more user defined keywords so that they no longer appear.

Jan, it does not appear that is possible to do. I could be wrong, and if so hopefully someone will correct me.

Jon
Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
I don't think that is what Jan had in mind. I think he would like to delete one or more user defined keywords so that they no longer appear.

Jan, it does not appear that is possible to do. I could be wrong, and if so hopefully someone will correct me.

Jon
I think it is what Jan had in mind. You cannot delete user defined keyword as long as there is an item which uses it. And as Kinook replied, once you un-check it on the last item, it will not longer appear on the list ... it works this way because the user defined keywords that appear on the list are per database, not per item (those that relate to item are checked).
Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So you can delete a user defined keyword from the list? I can't seem to do that. As a trial, I created a user defined keywork and assigned it to one item. Moved to another item and then returned to the original item. Unchecked the box, and navigated frth and back again. The user defined keyword remains (although unchecked). How do you get rid of it?

Jon
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

So you can delete a user defined keyword from the list? I can't seem to do that. As a trial, I created a user defined keywork and assigned it to one item. Moved to another item and then returned to the original item. Unchecked the box, and navigated frth and back again. The user defined keyword remains (although unchecked). How do you get rid of it?

Jon
same here

Kinook?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

There does seem to be a bug in v3.0.4 -- the keyword does not disappear from the list after unchecking from all items. We will investigate. For now, just ignore the unchecked keywords.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly right about my question & it appears we now have the answer.

Not having a delete key is a little weird to me altho I suppose it prevents users from removing an assigned keyword but having it disappear off the list if not used is a bit strange to me too.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Hi there,

Any update on this?

My user-defined keywords list has grown kind of cluttered. I'd really like to be able to simply delete the keywords I no longer want without having to go through the items.

Rather, I'd like the deletion of the keyword from the list to cascade through all items that made use of it.

If I don't want the keyword for one or more particular items, that is where checking and unchecking would be the correct procedure.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
Hi there,

Any update on this?

My user-defined keywords list has grown kind of cluttered. I'd really like to be able to simply delete the keywords I no longer want without having to go through the items.

Rather, I'd like the deletion of the keyword from the list to cascade through all items that made use of it.

If I don't want the keyword for one or more particular items, that is where checking and unchecking would be the correct procedure.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Me too thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

In the Item Keywords dialog (Ctrl+K), select the keyword and click Search (Alt+S). Select all of the search results (Ctrl+3, Ctrl+A), open the Item Keyword dialog again, select and uncheck the keyword (Space) to remove from all items.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
In the Item Keywords dialog (Ctrl+K), select the keyword and click Search (Alt+S). Select all of the search results (Ctrl+3, Ctrl+A), open the Item Keyword dialog again, select and uncheck the keyword (Space) to remove from all items.
I think what we are all talking about is the ability to purge the unwanted user defined keywords from the list so they no longer appear. This can be done with the auto generated keywords, so why not the user defined ones?

Jon
Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

After a word has been unchecked from all items, it will no longer appear in the list (after the Item Keywords dialog is dismissed and then displayed again).
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
After a word has been unchecked from all items, it will no longer appear in the list (after the Item Keywords dialog is dismissed and then displayed again).
My database is still compressing, so I have had a while to consider this behavior. Actually, I disagree and think there should be a separate option to delete user defined keywords. It is not obvious that unchecking the keywords from all items will remove them, nor do I think, it is desirable. Why? Well I might want to retain some or all of the user-defined keywords for future assignments. New users can indavertantly remove all of their user defined keywords unintentionally. Is there any warning that these keywords will be deleted? I know there is a workaround - just maintain one item with all the desired keywords checked - but don't you think the behavior should be congruous to the behavior of the auto generated keywords?

Thank you

Jon
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

It is consistent with the auto-generated keyword behavior. The only difference is that the user-def list includes keywords also defined on other items. And it's simple enough to re-add the keyword to an item if it was removed from all of them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: