Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2007, 03:25 PM

visual difference between linked & stored

Hi,

Is there a way to easily tell if an external document is linked or stored.

I've been storing Word docs (as RTF), but I'm changing my procedure based on a URP3 behavior: namely that when I create a Word based item in URP3, jump (Ctrl+J) out to Word, create a numbered sequence, come back into URP3 and then jump back out to Word, Word's numbering function isn't the same as I left it.

I can go into detail if desired, but suffice to say, I've tested this a few times to be pretty sure of myself in this.

If, however, I create a Word doc, import it as a *linked* document instead of stored, then whenever I'm in the Word doc, the numbering works as I would expect.

So - this shaggy dog is really about two things: (1) letting me easily see linked or stored and (2) figuring out the numbering functionality between Word and URP3.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM

The only difference I'm aware of is the stored icon; if engaged = stored. However, icon is so subtle (engaged or not) as to not make much difference so it's of little use IMO.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Re: visual difference between linked & stored

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
Is there a way to easily tell if an external document is linked or stored.
The other indicators of a stored document item are
1) [Stored] following item title in Details pane tab
2) Existence of Document Size attribute

Quote:
I've been storing Word docs (as RTF), but I'm changing my procedure based on a URP3 behavior: namely that when I create a Word based item in URP3, jump (Ctrl+J) out to Word, create a numbered sequence, come back into URP3 and then jump back out to Word, Word's numbering function isn't the same as I left it.

I can go into detail if desired, but suffice to say, I've tested this a few times to be pretty sure of myself in this.

If, however, I create a Word doc, import it as a *linked* document instead of stored, then whenever I'm in the Word doc, the numbering works as I would expect.

So - this shaggy dog is really about two things: (1) letting me easily see linked or stored and (2) figuring out the numbering functionality between Word and URP3.
It sounds like the difference is that you stored RTF format but linked to a DOC format file. Saving as RTF may lose some formatting made within Word.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Saving Word files in rtf

The post set me thinking about the best format normally to save Word files in.

Having played around, it does seem to me that .rtf files provide all the functionality I need most of the time, with the added benefit that they display very easily in UR.

Next off .doc files display quite well. The .docx files do not display well unless one runs Word through UR.

Maybe saving Word files in rtf format is not such a bad idea. And as for .docx, it seems far from obvious that it provides any real "progress" on Microsoft's part, since other users often can't open them and there is far less compatibility....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM

I use RTF because it enables compatibility almost everywhere (including some HTML editors). Word's proprietary doc and docx formats leave a lot to be desired in this regard.

OK - not a big make or break on telling the difference.

It would be a nice to have though.

Regards,
Bal