Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Copying Items Between Databases Doesn't Bring Custom Attributes Properly

Perhaps I'm expecting something extraordinary. When I copy template items with custom attributes and forms based on those attributes, the custom attributes don't follow properly and the form row that contained those attributes are empty.

The help says that all of this shouldn't be a problem. Is there an approach to inducing the correct behaviour?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM

works as expected here, can't think of the reason why that wouldn't work ...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

That works ok in our tests (tested by copying some books from the Books.urd sample to a new database).
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Unhappy

Sigh.

I've never actually seen the feature function as expected. I just now did it again, and it fails exactly as I describe.

I drag a new template I've created, based on the document template with new attributes and a custom form that includes those attributes. The template item in the target database is missing some (not all) of the new attributes and the form is different because of the missing attributes.

So, I've attached a tiny version of the source database that I've been using. If any of you can drag the template item "Research Document", in tact, with all attributes and the form, into a new empty database, I'll have to be surprised.
Attached Files
File Type: zip empty_tsse.zip (75.6 KB, 1243 views)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM

confirmed, the attributes are there, but the form is incorrect.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM

for sure all attributes? "Cited" and "significance" and "research reference" appear to be there, but "Value", "Analysed" and "Publication" attributes don't appear in the target.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM

ok, I found the most probable reason for your problem.

The form contains attributes that "Research Reference" does not, hence the problem ...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Smile

Nice call! And thanks for taking the trouble to understand this problem. UltraRecall and its excellent user community strike again!

So, forms do not carry attributes to items they're assigned to. I can certainly see both sides of the discussion that might ensue from this. However, I would definitely side with those who think a form carried around by a template should carry its attributes into derived items instead of their just sort of floating in the form.

I hope Kinook will figure out how to deal with this. The help page titled "Form" under "Getting Started > Basic Concepts > Attribute > Attribute Type >" states that a form is an alternate method "for viewing and editing the item's attributes." I've had a good look around, and nowhere is there a mention of attributes having to be assigned to an item before a form can be used in such a manner. As much as there's a warning that attributes could be lost when changing the template of an item, I would think that a similar caution about the comings and goings of forms would be equally helpful.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimP
However, I would definitely side with those who think a form carried around by a template should carry its attributes into derived items instead of their just sort of floating in the form.
form in only a frontend, so I believe Kinook will fix this oversight so that set of form "attributes" is neccessary subset of the set of template's attributes (or alternativelly automatically add the new ones to the set of template's attributes).
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Yes, at this time, you do need to add all form attributes to the template in order for inter-db copy to include all form attributes.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Is this why when I copy the Journal Year template from the provided sample file and paste it into my practice db, it doesn't work as advertised?

That is, highlighting a given month and hitting insert is supposed to produce a Journal child item with today's date as the title, but instead I get a text child item.

I get item attributes (i'm pretty sure, anyway), but don't get the role the "form" plays in the discussions above...that's why I'm not sure I've understood this thread correctly. And I definitely don't know what is meant by "copying form attributes to a template."

Thx in advance for the help...
--
dg
Old 12-31-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goggin
Is this why when I copy the Journal Year template from the provided sample file and paste it into my practice db, it doesn't work as advertised?

That is, highlighting a given month and hitting insert is supposed to produce a Journal child item with today's date as the title, but instead I get a text child item.

I get item attributes (i'm pretty sure, anyway), but don't get the role the "form" plays in the discussions above...that's why I'm not sure I've understood this thread correctly. And I definitely don't know what is meant by "copying form attributes to a template."

Thx in advance for the help...
--
dg
Apparently the Templates are losing the Default Child Attribute value when copied to the new database.

At first I copied the Year Template to a New db, which produced it self, plus its child Templates (Month, Journal Entry), plus it created a second Month Template. The creation of the individual Month and Journal Entry Templates is to be expected since they reside as children of the Year Template, but the creation of the second Month Template is strange. Shift-Delete all copied Templates.

Next, I copied just the Journal Entry Template, then the Month Template, then the Year Template. In this case the Month Template did not duplicate, but the Default Child Template value is lost.

Next, I copied some Templates from one of my db with the same results, the Default Child Template value is lost.

Other Attributes values are retained (Icon, Form, Title Expression).

Running UR v.3.5e.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

This is fixed in the latest download (UltraRecall.exe version 4.1.2.4 in Help | About | Install Info). Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Thank you! Once again, your responsiveness is amazing...and appreciated.
--
dg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: