Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 05-19-2007, 04:09 PM

Most wanted

There are many very good suggestions floating around, ...
but to somehow sum it up, try to answer the following. The questionnaire isn't easy I think, but let's give it a try

1. What single feature do you miss most?
2. What single feature do you think would help UR standout?
3. What single feature would attract most new users?

Your answer might be the same to each question, but more probably not, that's the point
Old 05-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Hard to answer since I would prefer pack of small things to be implemented, whereas the format of this questionnaire forces me to think big:

1. maybe HTML editing (see above)
2. UR already stands out feature-wise, IMHO it needs to package it all more neatly so that it reaches wider user base.
Anyway, vote goes to HTML editing.
3. Less chaotic, more standardly behaving GUI - but that's not a feature. so the vote goes for More powerful RTF editor.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:15 AM

missed = calendar visualizations
standout = intelligent filtering (a la Zoot smart folders)
attraction = better writing tools

PS: search across databases & pop out details windows

Last edited by janrif; 05-20-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:06 PM

*** HTML (Web Page) Editing

*** Search Results Highlighting

*** Ability to capture links (like Item Command Line) to any content anywhere in the Item Notes or Item Details Panes - (Like OneNote 2007)

*** much faster synchronization with external, linked resources

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
*** Ability to capture links (like Item Command Line) to any content anywhere in the Item Notes or Item Details Panes - (Like OneNote 2007)[/B]
How does this work in OneNote? I'm trying to understand this priority as user can drag/drop link to details page or note pane in URp which I'm sure you know so it must be something else.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Jan

What it means is that you can, after having located or chosen - for example - a paragraph header, or any arbitrary phrase or word in a body of text, say in an Items details pane, right click and choose copy link (to the clipboard) to paragraph (or selected word or phrase) - then either:

1) paste that link anywhere else within any OneNote Note or,
2) choose to create a new Note using the chosen text as the Title...

Then - if case 1) - clicking on that newly pasted link will navigate you back to exactly that paragraph, or word or phrase chosen in that other Note to link back to, or

if 2) then the chosen paragraph header, or word or phrase becomes a clickable hyperlink which links you to the new note created from it (This is exactly what wikis like mediawiki provide)...

In short, instead of just providing links to Items, it will be possible to create links to text in Item Details or Notes - such that chosen text becomes the target of a hyperlink which can be pasted anywhere else you like, even outside UltraRecall in some other application that supports hyperlinking...

Then UltraRecall content can become much more "web-like" - providing a much finer grained navigation around all the content.

Have I explained that in sufficiently plain English?

Regards, Ian

Last edited by igoldsmid; 05-20-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Yes, Ian, you were clear. I believe you are talking about Wiki or internal hyperlinking. I think I understand. If not maybe you'll try again. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Its more than a wiki, because wikis only enable linking from content to a page - whereas what OneNote 2007 is doing is enabling linking content to content, as well as content to pages...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:22 PM

Are you familiar w ConnectedText
http://www.connectedtext.com/index.html
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes, I have it, but haven't been using it for a while - (because OneNote 2007 provides all the wiki functionality and more - plus excellent Outlook Integration), plus the text manipulation and formatting in ConnectedText are primitive and I would say geared towards tecchies/programmers.

The CT developer is soon to release V3 which may bring it up to new more interesting level of UI and functionality.

Recently I have been using Personal Brain 4 (in beta) a great deal - it has a phenomenal graphical UI, but has limited limited notes functionality. I use it to organize and navigate file, web, UltraRecall, Outlook and OneNote links - essentially a fun and poweful visual GUI to organize and navigate through ALL my stuff...

Last edited by igoldsmid; 05-20-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM

We are veering terribly off topic but I agree, Brain is very interesting & I've have been trying to use it on a practical basis for years. Off list maybe you can tell me how you interface it with UR, etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:19 PM

off topic yes - Jan feel free to either drop me a private email here via this forum by going to my profile - or start a thread on Outlinersoftware.com - whichever you prefer?

Ian
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Lack of a Presentation Layer - Database Publishing.

- rtf editor, Office docs as Templates, Printed Output, html editing, exporting, xml transforms, website generation, or publish with the UR viewer -

There's bits and pieces here and there, but it just doesn't seem to come together.

I don't understand why rtf isn't treated more like a legacy thing, since there's so many version of the control and compatibility is even an issue among them...

Why put any more effort into rtf? Move on to something else.

I'm sure that some of you have looked at the ouput from the xml export, you can literally dump the entire UR database into an xml file.

Is this the point where Styles and Layout should be applied, some type of WYSIWYG xml editor?

Or should it be on the front end, the same data that is being dumped in the xml export is already available in UR?

Later,
KenA
Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 AM

Re: Most Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
There are many very good suggestions floating around, ...
but to somehow sum it up, try to answer the following. The questionnaire isn't easy I think, but let's give it a try

Your answer might be the same to each question, but more probably not, that's the point
1. choosing multiple keywords in attributes when checked "Restrict values to list" not only one
2. visualisation of the tree/subtree like in personal brain http://www.thebrain.com/
3. i'm not shure which of these 3:
- wiki like linking within the contend of the items and to other infoitems
- multilanguage support
- visual form editor

Last edited by inkognito; 05-21-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 PM

1. The url for a captured page automatically added to the bottom of the capture like Evernote does.

2. Ability to create simple tables.

I am very new to this software and am trying to learn it. So, if any of this is already possible, please forgive me. That reminds me of another request:

3. A better tutorial than the 4 flash demos (which are a bit outdated as they refer to menu options that are not there now ["alternate layout" in Web Capture demo, "default sibling" in the Journaling demo, etc.])

edit:
I just realized that I didn't follow the 3 part format of the original posting. By the time I read all the posts in the thread I was thinking of most wanted requests.

Last edited by edbro; 05-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: