Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 AM

quant: - In response to your question, I was, for the purpose of my investigation, "opening" a Word document inside UR, using the fact the Word can be embedded in IE. MSWord was not running at all during this investigation.

I assume from your observations about the behaviour of Word when you drag a Word file to IE, that what I am seeing is normal behaviour that is not considered to be "activating Word"? And so I must look elsewhere for the "Word quirk" that could be the cause of my problem.

Which is, as you will recall, that when MSWord is running in the background as a separate task, the (inactive) MSWord window appears on top of UR when I move away from a linked document that is visible in the version of Word embedded in the Browser/Item Details pane of UR.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Taxi
I also have Win XP SP2 w/ Word 2003 SP2.

On investigating my systems to identify what it might be about my set-up that is causing this "Word quirk", I have been monitoring the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager while navigating the Data Explorer tree with the Up and Down arrow keys. (With MSWord not running at all).

I have noticed a (system) process named WINWORD.EXE that does not appear until I select a linked MSWord document. At which point this process starts and takes a chunk of CPU for a few seconds. When I move away from the linked document, the WINWORD.EXE process takes another chunk of CPU for a few more seconds. Subsequently, this process remains in memory until I exit UR, even if I never select another linked document.

I have confirmed this behaviour on both my Desktop and Laptop as well as a colleague's laptop running from a USB stick!
That is to be expected -- when Word documents are edited internally in UR (UR hosts IE, which in turn hosts Word), a winword.exe process (where the Word functionality resides) will be created if it doesn't already exist. That's just how OLE embedding works.

Quote:
Have I found three quirky MSWord installations or is this normal UR behaviour that you do not consider to be "activating Word"?
To be more specific, UR will not activate an external Word instance/window. I'm not sure why an external Word instance is being activated/redrawn in your case, but UR itself is not doing it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: