Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 AM

External editor for web pages

I wondered if there was any way to do external editing of a web page that was captured in UR. Along the lines of doing ctrl-J with a text item and editing it with Word, then saving it and seeing those changes in the orignal item. Doing ctrl-J with a web page opens it in my web browser (Firefox). I've installed the Firefox add-on Firebug to do the editing, but I can't see a way of saving the changes and seeing them reflected in UR.

The other way I thought of would be to specify an actual HTML editor as the external application to view web pages with, rather than the browser, but I can't see where in options you could do that.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 AM

Yes, you should specify an actual HTML editor (e.g., Kompozer, Microsoft Office Sharepoint Designer) as the external application to use for opening web pages, rather than the browser.

One way to do this is: My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types, and then go to HTM extension and set your preferred HTML editor to open files with this extension.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 AM

just in case you are not aware, you can edit html directly in UR, go to Item->Edit Web page
Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 AM

What Quant says is of course correct, although sometimes the internal UR HTML editor doesn't provide adequate functionality, and in such cases you'd obviously need an external HTML editor.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 AM

another option is using right click in Data explorer and choosing "Show explorer menu", where you can choose "open with" and use whatever editor you have installed
Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, LM7 and quant. Yes, the problem is that web pages can be pretty recalcitrant to editing, that's the fault of HTML and the people who code it, not UR, which is perfectly fine for the most part at doing this. I generally have "edit web page" on by default.

I think you're both right, you might have to just change file associations and have web pages open up in something like Kompozer. I might also try the Firefox extension Scrapbook, which is meant as a webpage saver, but you could also use as an editor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: