Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 PM

recursive import

I thought URp would import folders, sub-folders, files recursively, maintaining the HD directory structure but this is not happening for me. I am only interested in linking, not storing data within URp

Am I mistaken?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 PM

Jan,

See attached screen shot.

Under Folder Options if you select Don't import files (just link...) then all other options are greyed-out (negated). So deselect this option, and chose the others as desired.

Under File Options deselect Store File contents in UR.

This will force UR to Link to the files that are imported.

It seems like a contradiction, but sense you are doing an import and NOT storing, I guess all UR can do is link.

Not sure why, but these settings will give you what you want.

EDIT: if you want to keyword the imported files then make that selection also.
Attached Images

Last edited by ashwken; 12-29-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM

ashwken, Thanks for your post. That's what's weird. It's not happening w these settings. I'm starting to wonder if syncback SE or something else is changing file attributes or something that is screwing things up. Whatever it is, somethign is definitely wrong here. Got any other ideas?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM

In the quick test that I ran the supplied screen shot gave the results that you requested.

I don't think there's a conflict with any UR Option settings, I suspect that the parameters defined for the Import overide anything set under Options. Whether or not there's a conflict with other aspects of your system is hard to say.

Sorry, I can't come up with anything else.

EDIT: Have tried to right-click drag-drop from Windows Explorer to UR, selecting Link from the popup. Not sure what this would point to, one way or the other, but it might get the job done.

Last edited by ashwken; 12-29-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks again for taking the time for testings.

On this end I opened a txt file -- that wasn't reading in UR -- in notepad and re-saved it in the same location. Then I ran sync <CTRL>+F5 on that folder & was suddenly able to read that same txt file within URp. What does that tell you?

On my HD I see a bunch of link files that are named name.url, name2.url, etc. These I can open with FF outside of UR, i.e. directly from the HD; they do nothing within URp.

All this is slightly apart from the recursive isssue but I decided to see if there was something wrong w the files in the children folders & this is what I found.

That's why I was wondering if a backup program like SysbackSE is doing something to these files to keep track of what it backs up (attributes?) &, if so, if that is causing a problem for URp.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:57 AM

Kinook / Kevina: could you look @ this thread & tell me if anything I can look for comes to mind? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Compare the file attributes before and after saving in Notepad.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 AM

Kinook & ashwken, I think the problem is solved. It appears that -- for some reason -- stored in UR was in effect & UR couldn't find it for good reason. It wasn't there. Once I disengaged 'stored in UR', problem dissipated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: