Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 06-27-2006, 11:14 PM

Quick Search - 2 minor bugs

When clicking QuickSearch (and Advanced Search for that matter), the tab is displayed and any previous search text is highlighted but focus is not changed.
I can't count the number of times I've started typing and found the Search tree jumping all over the place.

If the search results pane is AutoHidden, then the incremental search doesn't work properly as focus is lost if there is a pause in typing.

Cheers
Simon
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Re: Quick Search - 2 minor bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by simmotech
When clicking QuickSearch (and Advanced Search for that matter), the tab is displayed and any previous search text is highlighted but focus is not changed.
I can't count the number of times I've started typing and found the Search tree jumping all over the place.
What do you mean by 'clicking QuickSearch'? If you use the Search button on the View toolbar, it will focus the Search for field in the detail pane. If you have a Favorite for a search item and click that, it will not (instead it will either stay at the currently focused pane or focus the tree pane containing the item, depending on Tools | Options | Trees | Set focus to active selection pane when going to an item). Ctrl+2 is the default shortcut to explicitly focus the detail pane.

Quote:
If the search results pane is AutoHidden, then the incremental search doesn't work properly as focus is lost if there is a pause in typing.
It was a design decision to focus the results pane in that case (so that it will unhide and remain visible) to prevent confusion about where the search results are after a search starts. You could set 'Tools | Options | Search/Reminders | Incremental search delay when typing' to 0 so that the search results won't be displayed while typing a search phrase (and press Enter to initiate the search).
Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 AM

Re: Re: Quick Search - 2 minor bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
What do you mean by 'clicking QuickSearch'? If you use the Search button on the View toolbar, it will focus the Search for field in the detail pane. If you have a Favorite for a search item and click that, it will not (instead it will either stay at the currently focused pane or focus the tree pane containing the item, depending on Tools | Options | Trees | Set focus to active selection pane when going to an item). Ctrl+2 is the default shortcut to explicitly focus the detail pane.

It was a design decision to focus the results pane in that case (so that it will unhide and remain visible) to prevent confusion about where the search results are after a search starts. You could set 'Tools | Options | Search/Reminders | Incremental search delay when typing' to 0 so that the search results won't be displayed while typing a search phrase (and press Enter to initiate the search).
I was using the QuickSearch node in the Search pane which doesn't focus but the toolbar icon does so I'll click that instead.

Unhiding and remaining visible is one thing but why give it focus?
If I press Ctrl-Shift-F to start a search, I would like to be able to start typing search text straight away. I can't do that if the Search Results pane happens to be auto-hidden but can if it isnt.
Looking more closely, if the Search Results pane is closed then the behaviour is to open and pin it. This may be a better solution than changing the focus to it to unhide it as the behaviour would be more consistent - ie focus always where expected.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Quick Search - 2 minor bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by simmotech
Unhiding and remaining visible is one thing but why give it focus?
The two ways to unhide a pane are to focus it or move the mouse over it. We thought it would be better to focus than move the mouse pointer.

Quote:
If I press Ctrl-Shift-F to start a search, I would like to be able to start typing search text straight away. I can't do that if the Search Results pane happens to be auto-hidden but can if it isnt.
If you uncheck 'Tools | Options | Search/Reminders | Automatically start saved search when search item selected' and set 'Incremental search delay' to 0, you can.

Quote:
Looking more closely, if the Search Results pane is closed then the behaviour is to open and pin it. This may be a better solution than changing the focus to it to unhide it as the behaviour would be more consistent - ie focus always where expected.
We'll consider that as an option. IIRC, it used to work that way but somebody didn't like the pane being un-auto-hidden. Another option may be to close the pane instead of auto-hiding it, then show it when needed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: