Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 PM

Thumbs up UR V2 is NOT incompatible with F-Prot antivirus <Edited>

<Edit by SeanH>
UR V2 is NOT incompatible with F-Prot antivirus.
I found the problem. it was incompatibility between my AV and Windows file encryption.

I upgraded to version 2 last Monday and thought I had no problems. But I hadn’t rebooted till yesterday.

On reboot, all goes well through the login prompt but once my user environment begins to display, my processor utilization pegs at 100% and stays there. I can move the mouse, but no window opens or closes and Task Manager is unavailable.

Booting into safe mode works fine.

I disabled all auto load apps one at a time till I found that F-Prot Auto Protect was the one thing that, if running, would cause the system hang. After uninstalling and reinstalling F-Prot with the latest files failed to solve the problem, I restored my system from the most resent restore point and all was well.

I re-ran MS and F-Prot updates and all was still well. So at that point the only thing left was the upgrade of UR from V1.4e to V2.0.

I created another system restore point and upgraded from a freshly downloaded file. Same thing. Every thing works fine. Until I do a restart. Then after I login and my environment begins to display, system hangs.

I then rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled UR. When I restarted to normal mode, the PC hung again!!!???!

I restarted back to safe mode to look for traces of UR that had not been removed by the uninstall process. The uninstall process had cleanly removed any files or registry keys that looked like UR entries. With nothing left to try, I restored my system to the point I had recently created.

Have any of you experienced similar?

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?

Help??

Last edited by SeanH; 05-25-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Deleted by SeanH

Last edited by SeanH; 05-25-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I was not able to reproduce this behavior on a Windows 2000 SP4 test box with the eval version of FProt (labeled as v3.16f on their web site; I accepted all installation defaults) and UR 2.0. We'll need more info to investigate further, including:
1) The version and SP of Windows you're running
2) Computer hardware description (CPU, RAM, free disk space, etc.)
3) The version of FProt you're running
4) FProt configuration settings and/or files

It's possible that the problem will only occur if UR runs at startup. To test that, boot to safe mode and use RegEdit to delete the registry value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\Ultra Recall", then restart Windows and start UR after startup is complete.

It's more likely a problem with FProt than UR itself (perhaps it has trouble processing files that UR installs), since anti-virus software hooks into Windows at a low level, while UR runs as a regular application. You might submit the issue to the vendor of FProt and see if they will investigate or provide suggestions.

It's interesting that the lockup occurs even after UR was uninstalled. The UR installer copies files only to the install path and removes them during uninstall (I suppose Fprot may have copied these files elsewhere for its purposes or something). The only registry entry UR creates that would affect the system in any way is the entry mentioned above, which simply causes UR to be started at login, and that also gets removed during uninstallation.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
I was not able to reproduce this behavior on a Windows 2000 SP4 test box with the eval version of FProt (labeled as v3.16f on their web site; I accepted all installation defaults) and UR 2.0. We'll need more info to investigate further, including:
1) The version and SP of Windows you're running
1) Windows XP for Tablet PC 2005. Fully patched.
Quote:
2) Computer hardware description (CPU, RAM, free disk space, etc.)
2) Fujitsu P1510D convertible notebook. 1.2Gh proc, 512MB RAM, 60GB disk 70% free not fragmented
Quote:
3) The version of FProt you're running
3) v3.16f
Quote:
4) FProt configuration settings and/or files
4) Default F-Prot config.
Quote:
It's possible that the problem will only occur if UR runs at startup. To test that, boot to safe mode and use RegEdit to delete the registry value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\Ultra Recall", then restart Windows and start UR after startup is complete.
I have already tried to boot without UR running. It still hangs at login. (This make me suspicious of a different root cause).
Quote:

It's more likely a problem with FProt than UR itself (perhaps it has trouble processing files that UR installs), since anti-virus software hooks into Windows at a low level, while UR runs as a regular application. You might submit the issue to the vendor of FProt and see if they will investigate or provide suggestions.
I have submitted the issue to F-Prot. I have had no response from them at all. I am now looking for another vendor.
Quote:
It's interesting that the lockup occurs even after UR was uninstalled. The UR installer copies files only to the install path and removes them during uninstall (I suppose Fprot may have copied these files elsewhere for its purposes or something). The only registry entry UR creates that would affect the system in any way is the entry mentioned above, which simply causes UR to be started at login, and that also gets removed during uninstallation.
I think I may have the root cause but it needs testing. Some time ago, I encrypted the My Documents, Application Data and Local Files folders and all subfolders and files recursively using the inbuilt encryption that came with the OS. I think this may be a factor because I just logged in as Administrator, not in safe mode, and everything runs fine. This tells me the problem is associated with my user profile. My working hypothesis is that F-Prot combined with encryption is the issue.

I’ll decrypt all files, uninstall both F-Prot and UR then reinstall both.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanH

I’ll decrypt all files, uninstall both F-Prot and UR then reinstall both.
That was it!

Every thing works fine now.

Kinook,
Sorry for the flame. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: