Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Internal display of web pages is not great anymore

It used to be quite accurate, and I don't know what happened, but complicated pages are a mess now.

Try http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/. The left side bar gets strung vertically above the main banner. And expandable sections below the main area are all expanded automatically.

Is there a compatibility setting of some kind that I'm unaware of?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Are you viewing that URL in the internal browser, or importing and storing the web page, or ? Which version+SP of Windows and IE are you running?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Good questions. Sorry I didn't provide this info up-front.

Win7Pro x64

The page is not "stored".

IE is Version8 - I wouldn't think that the x64 version is being used inside UR.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

It looks ok on Win7 x64 w/ IE8 in my tests. UR is a 32-bit app, so it will use the 32-bit version of embedded IE.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Here's a cut of what it looks like around the main page banner on my machine.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Does it display properly in standalone IE? Maybe try upgrading to IE9?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM

It works fine in stand-alone IE 8.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 PM

I have noticed the same thing as OP in many websites that are multi-column CSS designs.

I tried the page discussed in this thread, and see the same symptoms I see in many other websites -- the linked page displays 100% correctly for a few seconds in UR, then it completely breaks down and loses its style info.

I can click away from the note with the webpage linked or copied, then click back and always see the same thing - the page loads 100% correctly for a few seconds, then the style info disappears and the page turns into an unstyled mess.

I did a test in Firefox (using the web developer plugin) to see if I could replicate what UR is doing. I can almost exactly replicate what happens in UR by disabling linked style sheets in Firefox.

For me this problem is bad enough I rarely link or copy webpages into UR anymore because I see this problem so often.

Win 7 ultimate 64-bit (2 separate machines, same problem)
UR Pro 4.2a
riched20.dll version 14.0.4750.1000

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Update - I was using IE8, and as suggested earlier in this thread I just upgraded to IE9 as a test. There is no change in the problem; CSS style info is lost whether the page is linked or copied to UR. You get a brief flash of perfect styling, then crapola as soon as the page fully loads. The page displays correctly in IE8 and IE9.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Administrator

We haven't had any luck reproducing this behavior. If you could send some other problem URLs and detailed steps of how you're importing the pages into UR, it might help. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm seeing the same problem with a twist. When copying to UR from Firefox 4.0.1 and IE8 (both x86), I get the same result as shown in post #5 above, but UR's internal browser displays the page properly when visiting directly from UR's web toolbar. Both Firefox and IE display the page properly as well.

The funny thing is, UR gets the page correctly if I save the page with Scrapbook (a Firefox extension) first, open the captured page from Scrapbook, and then copy the page to UR.

note: By "copying to UR" I mean clicking on the "Copy to UR" toolbar button with nothing selected in the page.

My system is Win 7 X64 SP1, with UR version 4.2a (pro).
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM

I had the problem in FF3.x, but now using FF4.0.1 and the problem is the same.
I almost never use IE, but used it in testing this problem (IE8 and 9) and see the same results as from FF. I tested new and existing linked and copied webpages in UR while my IE version was at 8 and then again at 9, testing the creation of the links from both IE and FF.

In FF I click the added UR toolbar buttons for either copy or link, there is typically a few seconds delay, then a UR popup asking if I want to copy or link the page. It doesn't matter if I copy or link, the problem is the same.

In IE I tested by right-clicking on the page, then choosing the UR copy or link context menu items.

I'll test some more tonight if I have time with more URLs. I stopped using UR for copying or linking pages sometime back due to this problem so don't know any other pages that do this off the top of my head. From what I remember it is multi-column css designs that have 1 or more external style sheets.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM

I think I've found the cause. The page needs javascript enabled to render properly. If UR's "Download scripts" option is enabled ("Import (More)" options), the page is captured properly, but it would take a long time.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM

mwlang, I have always had download scripts and download images checked. I think what you are seeing is because the page is not fully loaded, if you wait long enough for the page to fully load it will pop to unstyled.

For finding other pages that cause problems, I didn't have to look far. The very first one I tried linking/copying to UR has the same problem, and with an even nastier twist.

http://www.9news.com
If I choose "copy" to UR, then I see the same problem as the page mentioned earlier in this thread (the page takes a long time to load, and initially looks perfectly styled. Then when it is finally completely loaded it loses some of its style information).

The real fun comes with the 9news.com url when 'link' is chosen instead of 'copy'. Again, in UR it appears the page loads completely normally until it is fully loaded and then loses some style information. If you don't see it losing style info, let it sit there for a while to ensure it fully loads. Ok, once the style info is messed up, try clicking anywhere else in UR other than that page. I get a UR popup that states, "Error saving item: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.". I have to kill the UR process in task manager to get past that message (can't even close UR through UR itself without getting that popup).

Another symptom I have seen on a number of websites when copy/link in UR is done -- the website pulls up normally for a few seconds, then becomes unstyled as described above. But at the same time as it becomes unstyled, 1 or more sections of the webpage pull up in the default browser (separate browser windows). I have seen some websites open as many as 5 windows in the default browser when the item is selected in UR, however when opened in a regular browser those 5 windows are all part of the same webpage.

I would have reported these problems before, but I just figured they happened so often they were already known so I just stopped using UR for any webpage data.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwang View Post
I think I've found the cause. The page needs javascript enabled to render properly. If UR's "Download scripts" option is enabled ("Import (More)" options), the page is captured properly, but it would take a long time.
This worked for me too. When storing, rather than linking, the page http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/, I was seeing the same results as shown in the 5th thread above, but after checking Tools | Options | Import (More) | Download scripts and syncing, the stored page is displayed correctly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: