Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM

Well, there's now yet another bug introduced resulting around the logging functionality, so i've had to revert back to 6.1 again. I think i will just wait until 6.2 is officially released so that it has been regression tested.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Can you describe the bug? Our testing is completed, so any info you can provide could help us identify and fix any remaining bugs before final release. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 AM

Well, for one, the logging doesn't work the way it used to when a build project is Aborted. Here's the short version:
We run our project from the command line. It runs continuously. Before, a person could close the window while the continuous integration build project was in "sleep mode", causing the build to end and the next build cycle would log just fine. W/the beta, whenever the build is stopped, the next build cycle's "Transform Log File" step would Fail because of missing xml elements, which is what the transform step is suppose to add. I didn't look too close at it though.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

I haven't been able to reproduce that behavior. Using the attached sample, running it like

VisBuildCmd test.bld

from a Command Prompt and aborting by closing the Command Prompt or Ctrl+C correctly writes the closing XML tags to the log file, and running the build again and closing Notepad (so that it completes normally) successfully generates an HTML report from the XML log file.

Can you pare yours down to a reproducible test case? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: bld test.bld (1.1 KB, 1069 views)
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM

I wish I had the time, but we're trying to get a release out...

But I can tell you the other thing I noticed which may be part of the problem. Our ..CIC.bld calls the ChainMaster.bld which subsequently fires other build projects. Before the upgrade, when running from the command line, I'd see logging output (in the dos box) for the individual chain build projects and their details. In the beta, the last thing shown is the step for executing the ChainMaster build. It doesn't show the output for the steps w/in the ChainMaster nor does it show the output for the build projects called from the ChainMaster like it did before.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

The issue with echoing of chained program output from the console app has been fixed (actually, we added an app option [defaulting to the old behavior] to toggle echoing of chained console output on or off). I'm pretty sure that issue would not have any effect on file logging. I tried a stripped down version of your projects that would build here (attached; calling it like VisBuildCmd MediLinksCIC.bld) in the previous and updated beta builds but couldn't reproduce the issue with unclosed XML tags in the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nobuilder.zip (17.5 KB, 906 views)
Old 08-09-2006, 04:12 PM

the actual error is relating to 'too many top level elements' during the closing tags step (transform).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: