Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 PM

Any way to create a hotkey to Add a Task Item to a folder (Project)?

Is there any way to create a hotkey that will automatically add an item of a particular type to a particular folder?

BACKGROUND:

I'm using UR as a task manager for Getting Things Done.

But if I have a fleeting thought ("On our new catalog, we should refer to the Consultation as complimentary, not free so as not to devalue the consultation").

I want to very quickly get it down as text then figure out what project it goes in.

I see there is a hotkey I can assign to the INBOX folder itself, which is a good start.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

It could be done with a couple keystrokes by adding a favorite for the folder item (and assigning and shortcut to the favorite) and setting the folder item's Default Child Template attribute to the type of item that should be added. Then use <favorite shortcut>, Insert to go to the folder and insert a new item.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks. Yep, that's what I do now. Just hoping for having to remember fewer keystrokes (shift-alt-I (inbox) and then INS key to create new item).

Price we pay for having a sophisticated knowledgebase.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Then there are programs like MacroExpress that allow you to assign hotkeys to anything you like and create macros that are assigned to those hotkeys ... VERY handy, I couldn't work without it. ... http://www.macroexpress.com/

The advantage here is that I have ONE place to store all my hotkey assignments and adjust the macros when ever I like. I can assign ONE hotkey and macro to run when a particular program has focus and can use the SAME hotkey for something similar or totally different when a different program has focus. You are not limited by hotkey either, you can enter a short-cut string and have it run a macro also.

Here's an example.
In Word I want to quickly change the text color to red, lets say.
I create a keystroke, in my case I used ctrl-alt-shift-R to change the color to RED. In UR I might want to do the same thing so I create another macro with different instructions to change the text to red BUT I can use the SAME hotkey in both programs even though there are differents steps involved in getting this done. This can be done as MacroExpress allows each hotkey to be global OR program/window specific.

Hope that gives you some hope.
Free 30 day trial -- I think, so you can't go wrong.

Good luck,

<Ralph>
Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks Ralph!

Yes, that is a good idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: