Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM

Writing articles

I write articles for the local paper & I like to do this within UR.

Specifically, I work quickly but need to keep tract of versions & don't want to go to Word to do that.

Any suggestions how to set up a form for drafts & a final version. I also want a form that indicates publication, pub date, etc. Maybe it can all be one form.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Jan,

I have attached a zipped urd file including a simple example of how you could create the necessary fields and attributes and the necessary form.

Take a look at the short instructions in the file and play around with it.

One idea I have is to create for each article version a new item. The newest or most current article version you are working on is on the top of the tree hierarchy. The lowest or deepest item in the tree is the first and oldest version. Further, you can open the different versions in different tabs.

Is this what you are looking for? Please let me know what you think about it.

Dominik
Attached Files
File Type: zip article writing.zip (71.7 KB, 1258 views)
Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Semanticum
[snip] Is this what you are looking for? Please let me know what you think about it. [/snip]
Dominik, Before all else, thank you for spending the time on this. It is far more complete than what I came up with.

That's probably because I did not have any Swiss chocolates to eat while I was working on it. :-)

The idea of storing the older versions at the bottom & working up makes all kinds of sense. Question is how are you accomplishing this since UR doesn't allow insert parent. Are you placing versions manually?

The other thing is that I wonder if the versions need to be in the outline because user could add a version column in item chld items & sort that way....; doesn't look as pretty but may work. Or both

I think the form is good & has some things I didn't even consider. If I were to use it (& I would like to do that as I'm working on an aritcle now), I would make a few suggestions for your comments:

I think I would create a list of versions & add 'Final" as part of that list

In 'Status' I would add 'Idea" to your list so it would be:

Idea
Research
Draft

Possible field additions:

# of words (sometimes editors assign & pay by # of words)

Graphic or photos (especially for travelogue article). Don't know if this should be something where links could be added as children..... or something.

What do you think?

Funny, if we were doing this in ADM we could do this in real time via skype... what a shame.

Jan
Old 08-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Jan,

Yeah, the good old days with ADM when we were young...
I am happy that my initial setup was not completeley off-target.

Here are my comments and ideas:

"The idea of storing the older versions at the bottom & working up makes all kinds of sense. Question is how are you accomplishing this since UR doesn't allow insert parent. Are you placing versions manually?"
--- Yes, with copy & paste. I know, it's not high-tech. I think the better solution is to throw all article versions in to one folder the same level and the columns to he parent of all the article childs.

"The other thing is that I wonder if the versions need to be in the outline because user could add a version column in item chld items & sort that way....; doesn't look as pretty but may work. Or both"
--- Absolutely! Your suggestion takes less work and you are not adding redundant information. I had a column layout in mind for the child items but did not implement it.

"I think I would create a list of versions & add 'Final" as part of that list"
--- A very good idea! Much butter than adding "final" to the status.

"In 'Status' I would add 'Idea" to your list so it would be:

Idea
Research
Draft"

--- Another good idea and very important for writing.

"# of words (sometimes editors assign & pay by # of words)"
I am repeating myself: Sure a "must be" on the form.

"Graphic or photos (especially for travelogue article). Don't know if this should be something where links could be added as children..... or something"
--- I would add the pics as a folder to the article and throw all pics into that folder. Or do you would like to add the pic's file names into a field on the form? I have added a new field on the form for adding the pic's names used in the article.

See the attached zip file including the improved version.

Dominik
Attached Files
File Type: zip article writing v2.zip (159.5 KB, 1247 views)
Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Dominik, Just thinking 'out loud'

Images are only good as links as u illusrrated in your text so I think it might be better to have a yes/no, i.e. does this article have images in it?

Well, instead of my describing it, take qa look @ the attached file. I haven't figured out how to segregate my data from the form to zip & send a urd file but I think the html is explanatory.

What do you think?

I'm also thinking, if UR can create a child, why can't it create a parent? Kinook?

I like your outline of the versions but I'd like to figure out how to do it w/o copy paste altho I don't think it's possible @ this time. I have to think about this some more but maybe you will have an idea.

What I think it needs is some option where UR recognizes a change in a an item & asks user if they want to save or replace current item. I don't know how difficult this is to implement but that would do it I think.

Maybe Kinook will see this & offer a comment. Kinook?

Maybe when this is finished you can put it under suggestions/ tips, etc as it should be quite useful.

Jan
Attached Files
File Type: zip writing form.zip (1.9 KB, 978 views)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Create a parent? Are you asking for an way to "insert" an Info Item "between" an existing item and it's parent(s)?
- Which parent (there can be multiple)?

What would be the difference between save and replace? If you edit an item, Ultra Recall "saves" the item (which "replaces" the currently saved content)...
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
Create a parent? Are you asking for an way to "insert" an Info Item "between" an existing item and it's parent(s)?
- Which parent (there can be multiple)?

What would be the difference between save and replace? If you edit an item, Ultra Recall "saves" the item (which "replaces" the currently saved content)...
Take a look @ the attached file from Semanticum's first response to my post. Look in the explorer for possible usage. To be specific I'm talking about inserting a parent one level above a current item. 180 degrees form insert a child ccmmand.

If I'm writing an article and I change text in the details pane, I don't see UR saving a newly created item. Maybe I'm missing something. To me it looks like it re-saves the same item with updated material.

So replace command would do what UR does now.

Save (or re-save or update) would actually create a new item based on the current item plus any updated material.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
[B]Take a look @ the attached file from Semanticum's first response to my post. Look in the explorer for possible usage. To be specific I'm talking about inserting a parent one level above a current item. 180 degrees form insert a child ccmmand. [snip]
Kevina, right now I accomplish this task by the following steps (which I'm looking to simplify)

Folder = "Article Title"
+++ Article Draft v.01

User now wants to work on Draft v.02

Step 1 - copy Article Draft v.01
Step 2 - copy / paste Article Draft v.01 (1) on Folder
Step 3 - move / drop Article Draft v.01 on Article Draft v.01 (1)

What I'm suggesting is the ability to focus on
+++ Article Draft v.01
and inserting a parent one step above which will insert between:

Folder "Article Title"
+++ Article Draft v.01

so in one step it will look like:

Folder "Article Title"
++ Article Draft v.01 (1)
+++ Article Draft v.01

========

Note: Kinook, What bugs me is when I read posts on a forum like the outliner forum about UR being useless @ task management, this task & some other task, etc.

Well, I strongly disagree -- tho not always stated -- because I think UR is very capable of task mngmnt, research / writing assignments & many other tasks.

It is, however, a matter of capturing its capabilities.

The more this product is developed to make multiple tasks easier the broader & more positive the response.

Even tho I know there are some demo URDs available, I'm also hopeful, users will start posting their own URDs so people can just un-zip & visualize what is possible in UR.

Obviously a fan.

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield CT USA
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Note: Kinook, What bugs me is when I read posts on a forum like the outliner forum about UR being useless @ task management, this task & some other task, etc.
what is badly missing from the task management point of view is a calendar view ... hopefully included in UR sooner rather than later ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: