Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 AM

Python as default scripting language causes problem

Hey everybody, the support team at Kinook helped me figure out a very strange error today and I thought I'd post a summary in case anybody else comes across it.

I had a very simple build project that I was just using to learn about VBPs capabilities. It had only four or five steps, it just ran a Perforce command and then processed the output with a Python script. At some point I tried to run it and it started giving me this error:
Error firing vbld_BuildStarting event: A null reference pointer was passed to the stub
I couldn't figure out what the heck it meant, and I had no idea what vbld_BuildStarting event was (it turns out it's an event you can handle in a script -- it's in the help index).

As it turns out while looking at the program preferences I had changed the default scripting language to Python, and that was breaking with the default vbld_BuildStarting event call. Changing the default scripting language back to VBScript fixed the problem. This happens in VBP 5.7.

Kinook support was very helpful and after looking into the problem further they believe they can fix it in the next release. I hope this information helps somebody down the line!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Administrator

The download http://www.kinook.com/Download/VisBuildProEval.exe has been updated with a fix for this issue.