Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 05-19-2003, 05:40 PM

Question SourceSafe label question

I have a curious problem with SourceSafe - I'd like to be able to label and extract by label to be able to reproduce builds. However, I have found that some nested projects don't behave. For example, if I have some projects like this:

ParentProject
->ChildProject1
->->ChildofChildProject1
etc.

when I label the ParentProject and then attempt to extract recursively from the ParentProject using the label, I get "version not found" when some of the ChildofChild projects are processed. Most of these nested projects work fine. I have been unable to determine what aspects of these projects cause problems. This is really a SourceSafe problem, since I see it from the SourceSafe GUI as well, but I was hoping someone out there might have seen this also????

(It appears to work OK if I label the root project $/, but I would like to be able to label subsets of the archive.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:50 PM

Unhappy

Labels in Source Safe are not useful for getting back to a project state! Appart from any other problem, if you have deleted files or moved them since the label, Source Safe can not generate the state of the project as labeled.

To work around the problem we generate a branched version of any project that we may wish to get back to (in particular, at release time). After our next release we are changing to CVS specifically to avoid this problem!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: