Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 PM

New to UR - best way to get started

Hello and I'm new to UR.

I've read many of the posts and hopefully UR is the program I'm looking for.

My main goal is to organize my files on my computer beyond the folder structure I currently have.

The problem with my current folder structure is if I'm doing a proposal I might have a word doc, an excel doc, an PDF doc, etc., and I have to go all over the place to find them.

I'd like to be able to keyword these docs and have them all show up when I search for them....click each and I'm good to go.

I don't really have any specific questions but I was wondering if there were any tutorial videos and/or articles I could be directed to in order to get a better understanding on what UR can do.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Some thoughts...

I am a fairly experienced and happy user of URP (professional). If you are not using the Pro version, I seriously suggest you upgrade. All my comments presume URP and not the more basic version.

1 - If you use MS Office, you'll want to follow this thread almost immediately. It shows and assists with integrating Office apps so that they can be viewed from within the URP window.

http://kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=4603

2 - Play with the program.

3 - Pay particular attention to hoisting and unhoisting. If you're at all like me, you will find these very useful. You can also say thank you to me as I was one of the biggest pushers for this URP capability.

Side Note: by the way, you will find Kinook to be one of the most responsive vendors around in terms of reviewing and implementing sensibly presented suggestions.

4 - Learn to play with the Data Explorer pane, to move things around, with both keyboard and mouse.

5 - Play around with the Advanced Searches and explore some of the pre-installed searches that Kinook provides. Not only will you find them useful in their own right, but you'll also start getting greater insight into how data is and can be structured. Pay particular attention to the "not" check box, and learn about boolean searches, which are supported by URP.

6 - Bear in mind you can drag virtually any file you have on your local drive into the Data Explorer pane so that you can access it from within URP (though not every item will be displayed inside URP). But if you have project files, you can bring them all (either as full imports or as links - you need to learn the difference) into a project item inside URP. Very powerful.

This should be enough to get you started and keep you busy for a little bit.

And visit the forum frequently. Ask questions in the General Discussion area and make suggestions in the Suggestions area. I can't tell you the number of times I made a suggestion only to find that there was something similar that already existed in URP. Add to this the aforementioned Kinook responsiveness, and you have a winning formula.

Happy exploring.

- Bal
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the information....very helpful.

I'm looking forward to seeing how UR can help in organizing my computer documents.

Bruce
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Re: New to UR - best way to get started

Note the demo at http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/demos.html

I would suggest working through the sample databases that are installed with ultrarecall, as each one demonstrates some useful feature.

Quote:
Originally posted by invgrp2
The problem with my current folder structure is if I'm doing a proposal I might have a word doc, an excel doc, an PDF doc, etc., and I have to go all over the place to find them. I'd like to be able to keyword these docs and have them all show up when I search for them....click each and I'm good to go.
Keep in mind that UR is very flexible and feature rich...and there are often several approaches to an organizational task. For your example, I would probably create a Project Item named "proposal" and link all the doc's, spreadsheets, PDF,etc as sub-items of "proposal" (like wordmuse suggested in his #6 point). Then I would add a number of task items (perhaps with due dates and reminders) to define the work I need to do to complete the project.
Your idea of tagging each item with a keyword and using search (or taking it a step further and creating a "saved search" item) to collect them on demand, would work too.

Welcome,
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by invgrp2
I'm looking forward to seeing how UR can help in organizing my computer documents.
Hi Bruce,
Welcome abroad.
I'm afraid there's shortcuts in UR learning.
Having been intensively running UR for 3 years, I still study the UR manual from top and bottom again and again. Each reading de novo of the UR manual helps me discover new features and/or potential I've overlooked previously.
In fact, UR manual is one of the best.
Just my 2 cents.

Armstrong
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
I'm afraid there's shortcuts in UR learning.
Sorry for my typo error.
It should read:
I'm afraid there's no shortcut in UR learning.