Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Suggestions for accessing UR across network?

There have been a few posts on using UR in a multi-user environment and there are suggestions in the Help file, but I was wondering if others out there are using UR in this way. If so, how are you doing it (CIFS/SMB? Remote Desktop? others?) and what suggestions do you have?

I am trying to share access with one other user who sometimes is on a LAN connection and sometimes is connecting remotely (DSL speeds).... looking for ideas.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:03 PM

Since Ultra Recall is not a client-server application, adequate performance typically can't be achieved over a link much slower than LAN speeds (10 Mbit or so).

As you mentioned Remote Desktop, PCAnywhere, VNC/RealVnc/UltraVNC and similar are one option (which work great if you have a dedicate machine on the LAN that you can remote).

Another option that I use (which isn't over a network) is a flash drive and file synchronize on my desktop. Since Ultra Recall doesn't prevent the file from being copied, you can configure your file sync software to keep the flash drive updated on frequent intervals. The only caveat to this approach is the need to remember to bring the Flash drive along!

Maybe users are using some other techniques and can chime in...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 AM

I use AllwaySync and a 4G thumbdrive to synchronise my UR database between home and work, this also means that I have an up to date copy available on my thumbdrive - works well for me!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:17 PM

i use online remote synchronisation. very fast.

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1445

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: