Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeg
Since UR version suddenly jumped from 3.5 up to 4.0, I'm guessing this is a way to fund additional development.
Hopefully. But I'm not sure it was the best strategy to employ, adding few smaller features instead of one big that alone would warrant an upgrade fee. I would think that Calendar was the most wanted feature for the next release, and it also had a good potential to bring new customers. Kinook could start threads about what features users wanted in the Calendar, this debate could liven up the forums and would hopefully result in the great Calendar feature that everyone would be happy to pay an upgrade fee for. Well, maybe the next version.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeg

P.S. I think any ease-of-use or improved help enhancements have a double benefit of possibly bringing in more new customers who might otherwise be overwhelmed or simply ignorant of the power and flexibility of UR (I'm still learning what is possible after a few years). [/B]
... yep, that's probably the "Achilles' heel" of UR ;-)
more video tutorials, better marketing ... I myself found UR only by chance ... most people still have no idea what PIM is.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Hi Quant,
With all due respect, may we know about your background? I bet, like most UR users, you're savvy in computer. I can appreciate the challenge Kinook confronts with UR marketing. UR represents a new idea and a new category in the software market. As such, unlike Microsoft Note, UR doesn't gain users' acceptance instantly. The only possible solution to UR marketing is hands-on training/demonstration roadshow.

Nonetheless, the upgrade price is unexpectedly steep.

Armstrong
Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Hi Quant,
With all due respect, may we know about your background? I bet, like most UR users, you're savvy in computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
I can appreciate the challenge Kinook confronts with UR marketing. UR represents a new idea and a new category in the software market. As such, unlike Microsoft Note, UR doesn't gain users' acceptance instantly. The only possible solution to UR marketing is hands-on training/demonstration roadshow.
PIM's are here for quite some time. I remember reading about Fisher Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_Black) who used Thinktank in the late 80s.

And there are many many things that could be done. This is what I'd do if I spent years programming sth. Create videos to each and every sample database that is installed, categorized by difficulty. Explain with example videos where and how it could be useful, at high school, uni, job, at home. Then I'd spend time creating sample databases that could be readily used for SAT tests, GRE tests, or some basic English tests. Distribute it wherever I could. I would contact universities and offered it free for students' end of year research projects. I would release the key for v2, and also create a free current version that would say not be able to create own templates or be limited by 1000 items (if you really gonna use it, you reach 1000 pretty fast, if not, you wouldn't pay for it $100 anyway but someone who sees you using it might). I would then try to bundle this free version to those computer magazines free DVDs. I would try to submit UR to various software review websites, try to participate in forums where this kind of software is discussed. I would run competitions for the best user video, best sample database, best idea on how to promote UR, etc ... for the start ;-)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Has quant finally changed his (her?) tune?

In this thread ("To Beat a Dead Horse")

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3684

I bemoaned the fact that UR lacks user-friendly videos that explain in easy English the various intricacies of kinook's fine program (I have already upgraded to 4.0, by the way).

I mentioned what many others have noted: the help file, albeit well-organized, is tedious to rummage around in, and as the cliche goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

If even senior member / quantitative analyst quant can be persuaded that videos might, among other things, boost sales, I suggest we pester the daylights out of kinook to get them to condescend and finally post a few of them.

Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Re: Has quant finally changed his (her?) tune?

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
Has quant finally changed his (her?) tune?
I haven't, citing myself from that thread: "More examples, online videos, etc. will certainly help ..." ;-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: