Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Copy a Search Result

I'm sure I'm missing something because what I want to do is quite simple but it seems rather tedious in UR.

I do a search and then click on one of the items in the search results pane. Then I click on another tab I have open to check something or find another item. If I then want to link the item I found in the search tab to this other item, how do I do it?

I go back to the tab which displays the item but what do I copy? By now it's no longer listed as an item in the search results pane and it isn't, and never was, shown in the explorer pane. The only thing I can think of to do is to run the search again and then I have to scroll through the items in the search results to find the one I want again. Then I need to remember to copy it before I switch away from that tab. It's very frustrating since the item details were still displayed in the tab but I can't do anything with the item.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 AM

really dont understand what you want to do, maybe you want to press Enter or double click after you found your item to actually go to it (or maybe CTRL+Enter to open in new tab). Also it might be related whether in option you have to automatically run search items ...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM

If tools/options Automatically start saved search... is selected , when I return to my previous search tab the item is still selected. I Ctl-C to copy it.....

I also could have doubled clicked the item in the search results pane to select it in the Data Explorer pane.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM

quant, yes, you're right: if I did press enter to go to the item then it would be there available for linking when I returned to the tab. But often I don't want to go to the item at that time; I want to look at information in other tabs before deciding whether I have the correct item. If I press enter before looking at the other tabs, when I come back to the search results tab, these results are gone.

I guess what I want is to be able to switch from a tab that has search results in it and then return to that tab and see the search results still there with the item I had clicked on in these search results still shown in the details pane. What happens at the moment is that you lose the search results, and your place in these results, if you switch tabs.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
If tools/options Automatically start saved search... is selected , when I return to my previous search tab the item is still selected. I Ctl-C to copy it.....

I also could have doubled clicked the item in the search results pane to select it in the Data Explorer pane.
Thanks, $bill. I had that option switched off but with it on, UR does indeed do what I want.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasymington
I guess what I want is to be able to switch from a tab that has search results in it and then return to that tab and see the search results still there with the item I had clicked on in these search results still shown in the details pane. What happens at the moment is that you lose the search results, and your place in these results, if you switch tabs.
but once you move from search results to another tab, you can affect them, so when you move back it has to reload.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: