Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM

search for user defined keyword

For some reason I'm having trouble here.

I have a # of items to which I have attached a special user defined keyword "a/c" yet I cannot figure out how to search for these items.

Can someone tell me how to do this. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 PM

I suppose / is a special character, but it should work exactly as you typed it, ie. enclosed in the double apostrophe (but I think that ruins the speed of indexed search)

Last edited by quant; 07-10-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Searching a/c as "a/c" did the trick but I wonder why it would be necessary to put a keyword between quotes. Or are u saying that since the search criteria contains a special character, i.e. the / character, that it requires the quotes?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM

the answer depends on what characters can "keyword" be composed of. I'd think that only letters a-z A-Z (+ numbers, if you specify in the setting) are considered. So it means that your "a/c" was not keyworded, and therefore cannot be found by typing only a/c, because that kind of search searches only for keywords (in this case in the user defined keyword attribute). If you enclose it in the double quotes, that is a phrase search, ie. brute-force
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM

It looks like URp is smart enough to delete any user defined keyword that is not in use.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM

yes, actually it was not working like that till lately (even though it should have by the help file), when one user noted this and was corrected by Kinook very fast afterward ;-)
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Usually, keywords don't contain punctuation (auto-generated keywords never will). When a word containing punctuation (unquoted) is entered in a quick search, UR actually breaks the search into separate keyword searches ('a' and 'c' in this case), but since there typically will be no keywords shorter than 2 characters long, there are no matches. Placing the value in double quotes causes UR to not split the search text on punctuation characters.

BTW, it still does perform an indexed search with the keyword in quotes (click the Advanced button to see what sort of search is actually being performed).
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM

I see, so I was wrong, thanks for clarification. Might be good idea to include these facts into help, ie. sth along the lines ...

- "user defined keyword" is the only attribute that can have keywords containing other than letter/number characters.

- searching for these keywords requires putting them into quotes (otherwise the search string is broken on the non-letter/number characters)

- The most important, please add a relevant example (for example the one from this thread), it's like the saying "Better to see once than hear a hundred times"
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Usually, keywords don't contain punctuation (auto-generated keywords never will).
Running URpro v.3.1

For a Text Item, pasted text contains the following text:

G.I. Combat

will auto-genterate the following keywords for the Item:

g.
combat

For a Doc Item, URL Attribute contains user pasted:

path\file name.jpg

will auto-genterate the following keywords for the Item:

name.jpg

Just sayin'... no judgement, but this is what it's doin'.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: