Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 AM

UR hangs

Since version 2 came out I've often had UR hang showing the hourglass. This doesn't seem to happen after any particular event. Now it's hanging with a message saying "The data area passed to a sytsem call is too small".

Closing UR with task manager doesn't help because the next time I start it up it's still hanging with the hourglass showing. I've checked that all instances of UR are closed.

Sometimes I can get round this by double-clicking on a small UR database in Windows Explorer, but not this time. I usually have to reboot my system, which is obviously very inconvenient.

Any ideas what can be causing this?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 AM

How is this "message" being displayed? As a modal dialog? If so, can the modal dialog be dismissed? Do you consistently see the "The data area passed to a system call is too small" error?

Please post the info from Help | About | Install Info (or email to support@kinook.com). Just out of curiosity, is the IE 7 beta installed on this pc?

You said that that restarting Ultra Recall often isn't sufficient, persisting until rebooting. What if you restart Ultra Recall while holding the Shift key (to prevent a database from being opened)?

Another test once you have received this error would be to create a shortcut that opens a specific database at the root item item (select the root item and choose Item | Create Desktop Shortcut) and open it via the shortcut.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Yes, it's a modal dialogue with an OK button. Pressing the OK just causes the dialogue to be displayed again.

Here's the install info:

Ultra Recall Professional 2.0
Registered to: Dave Symington (1-computer license)
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
riched20.dll version 5.50.99.2009
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.02
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.04
UltraRecall.exe version 2.0.0.1
unins000.exe version 51.42.0.0
Database filename: C:\Ultra Recall Data\DASNotes.urd
Database version: 2.0.1

IE 7 beta isn't installed.

I'll try starting with the shift key the next time it happens. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

What were you doing in UR when the "data area passed to a sytsem call is too small" error occurred? I would also recommend updating to v2.0a.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:06 PM

I wasn't doing anything in UR. I'd just copied a large amount of data to the clipboard in another application. UR was maximised on the second monitor at the time but didn't have the focus and, as far as I'm aware, I hadn't used any hotkeys to import to UR.

I'll update to the latest version. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 PM

I upgraded to version 2.0a. UR was working OK. I closed it, downloaded the new version and installed it. I chose the option in the installer to start UR. When it started it hung; the hourglass showed and I could do nothing with it. I closed UR with the task manager and then tried starting it with the shift key held down. It still hung.

I tried the shortcut method you suggested. This worked, but when I went to the item I had been using, closed UR and started it again, it hung. I've tried this several times now and if I close UR while viewing that item and start it up again it hangs. What could be wrong with the item? It's just an item based on a template.

I copied the item to another database and the same thing happens with that. However, if I open a database (not on the problem item) then open the database to which I've copied the item, it opens it on the problem item but without hanging.

I've created a database with a cutdown version of the item that always causes the probelm when I open the database here. I'm sending it to you. Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Administrator

First, this sounds like two different issues:

1) Error message in UR when copying a large amount of data to the clipboard in another app. What was the other app and what sort of data was being copied to the clipboard?

2) UR hangs at startup when re-opening a certain item. I wasn't able to reproduce that behavior with the sample DB you provided. Could you ZIP and send:
a) An export of the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall"
b) The files at %APPDATA%\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall (typically C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall)
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 AM

1) It was the results of a query in SQL Server. I copied three columns so that I could paste them into Excel. I use ClipMate, which monitors the Windows clipboard and stores all clips in a database.

2) Reqested files are on their way.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

1) I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior in my testing. If you are able to make it happen consistently and can indicate what type and how much data you were copying, and from which version and tool in SQL Server, we can try to replicate.

2) This may be the same as http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1831. Try disabling minimize on startup to see if it is.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:59 AM

1) I can't get this to happen again. It's the first time I've seen that message. If it happens again, or if I get any of the other freezes, I'll try and note exactly what I was doing to see if it can be reproduced.

2) Yes, unchecking minimise on startup has fixed this. It's slightly diffferent from the other report, though, in that it's only if I close UR on a specific item that the problem arises.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 AM

"The data area passed to a system call is too small" - this has happened again, with the latest version or UR. I had copied 47 lines of text from IE and pasted it into Word 2007 when the dialogue popped up in UR, which hadn't been used for some time and didn't even have the focus. Each time I dismissed the dialogue it came up again and I had to close UR with task manager.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

What is the full text of the error message (or post a screenshot)? The error was displayed after you pasted into Word?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM

That is the full text. It came up in a dialogue box that was modal to UR. Clicking OK (the only button) just closed it and a few seconds later it came up again.

Yes, immediately after I'd copied from IE and pasted to Word.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: